Komatsu D45A ?

/ Komatsu D45A ?
Hi ya's
well update to story i did buy a d45a and it goes ok ..i have had a bit of a prob with the stearing but got all the spec's and found the linkages were out of whack neat toy tho ..as others have said a digger would be the go and in some ways it may have been only time will tell could sell it and buy a digger later tho
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Komatsu D45A ? #12  
Glad to hear you got your linkage lined out. Sometimes they require a little fine tuning. Not familiar with D45A but have a lot of experience with a D20P. Do you have the gear tranny or hydro. Mine has the gears with a wet clutch and I had a problem with the oil overheating in the main clutch housing. The cure was long and many little pieces of a puzzle. First I had the oil cooler boiled out at a radiator shop. I pulled the transmission (it needed a new main clutch, it was slipping) and checked all the oil passages. When reassembled I still had a heat problem. Komatsu only calls for a 10w oil in the main clutch housing, so I substituted a good quality 10w30 synthetic oil, problem solved. The 10w oil would break down with the dozer usage but now the synthetic, which has a much higher temp. range, handles it in stride. Just make sure your seals are good or the synthetics will find your leak points. Sorry to ramble and I know you did'nt ask, but maybe I will save you some time and aggravation.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #13  
Dozernut, how do you like the little D20. I looked at several of thoses when I was looking for a dozer. I was concerned that it would be a little small for all I wanted to do.. Ended up buying a JD450C, and have been very happy with what it will do. How many hours does yours have and what do you use it for...

Welcome to TBN board, glad to have you aboard.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #14  
Its a good little dozer. It shows 1400 hours on the meter but I can't verify that. It was a pit dozer used at a generating plant pushing cinders. As you can imagine the acid from the cinders done a number on the under carriage. It ran strong and had new paint so I bought it. That was three years ago and since then I have pretty much rebuilt the whole dozer except for the motor which is in good shape. It really is a tad small for what I am doing with it, building a four acre lake. Kind of like digging a well with a spoon. I am in no hurry and love pushing dirt. I am building the lake in two sections and the main part is done and roughly 3/4 full of water. Soon as weather permits we will start on the second section. You might wonder how you build a lake in sections, Snorkels! Seriously we left a high point and will start a second dam. Once the second dam is finished we will break the seal with the hoe allowing the water to drain into the new section. Then we can work on the high point of the old seal. Clear as mud, right. We will have roughly 4 surface acres when done with two large islands. Its been a good relief valve for me and allowed me some quality time with my 16 year old son. He would be on the Kubota ripping while I pushed. I will truly be sorry when the project is done but we will find something to do. Big project, small equipment, three years in our spare time, but would do it again in a heart beat. This dozer is actually our second. We had a Dresser T500C, but it was too worn out and old. We had a little trouble getting parts due to the age. I suppose stubborness had something to do with using the small dozer, people telling me it would not do the job. I knew it would but just take longer, been messing around with equipment a long time, just never owned them (dozers). The Kubota 4610 is no slouch in moving dirt and has been invaluble in the project along with other chores. Sorry, I have rambled on too much. What kind of project are you working on with your D45A. That is a nice sized dozer, should be no problem getting parts as long as your wallet holds up, They can get expensive. My only advice is to service the machine regularly and keep on top of the filters. Blow out your pre-filter and radiator quite often. Hope to hear back, keep pushing dirt, it keeps you young.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #15  
See what age does to you, in my senile state I replied to the wrong person. Sorry, no slight intended. Would like to hear about the JD 450, good machine. Keep pushing dirt.

/ Komatsu D45A ? #16  
DN, Thank you for sitting corrected. """"Its been a good relief valve for me and allowed me some quality time with my 16 year old son.""""" Yes pushing dirt can be very therapeutic for the soul and mind. (If you don't have to do it for a living). I really believe in PM and filters and cleaning are done regularly..

/ Komatsu D45A ? #17  
Jag, I am still waiting to hear about your JD450C. Is it still running strong and what projects are you working on? We have only been able to work one day, it has been too wet. I wonder if I should start on an Ark. If it stops raining and I can figure out how to do it, I will post some pictures of our "project". Hope I did not offend you earlier by replying to the wrong person. But looking at your bio, is it because you "like jumping off cliffs"/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. What is that about /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif? Thats the same as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif! I hope your still able to jump off cliffs, keep pushing dirt.