Kovaco Electric Skid Steer

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #11  
I paid $2.57 for off road diesel last week.

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #12  
my guess is diesel will be around long after electric loaders are dead, electricity is not free, they would like to think it is but as some point it will fade, there is nothing that can pack energy for size than diesel or gas and when he electric loader is out of charge mid afternoon what do you do? diesel just add a few gallons and back up running

give it a few years, no one has a plan to recycle batteries fully, yes they can be but once they start putting a recycle charge on the batteries look out

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer
my guess is diesel will be around long after electric loaders are dead, electricity is not free, they would like to think it is but as some point it will fade, there is nothing that can pack energy for size than diesel or gas and when he electric loader is out of charge mid afternoon what do you do? diesel just add a few gallons and back up running

give it a few years, no one has a plan to recycle batteries fully, yes they can be but once they start putting a recycle charge on the batteries look out
You may be right. The oil industry is very powerful and has great influence throughout the entire world.
I do remember about 25+ years ago when I carried a cordless Mikita 9.6 volt on the job sites, some would laugh at the “silly gutless battery drill”. Now it didn’t render the corded drills useless, but I think you can agree that nearly everyone has at least 1 cordless drill (or other battery power tool) in their collection now. After I experienced the frustration of my battery dying, I bought another charger and 4 batteries. Improvise...
I don’t think EVs are going away, but I agree with you, in that, internal combustion engines are not soon going away either. I predict We will all end up owning an EV sooner or later.
Then again, there is the locomotive steam engines of the past... but we’ll save that one for another thread. :)

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #14  
It almost seems like the commitment to electric everything is a tidal wave that can’t be stopped at this point. Corporate virtue signaling with all the social pressure. And, to be honest, electric will eventually, like it or not, have its place at the table.
I don’t think diesels are going away anytime soon, either. Equipment repair companies will have to train an entirely new line of techs to work on the stuff.
Life running equipment is about to get vastly more complicated and frustrating

Last edited:
   / Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #15  
some would laugh at the “silly gutless battery drill”. Now it didn’t render the corded drills useless, but I think you can agree that nearly everyone has at least 1 cordless drill (or other battery power tool) in their collection now
I poo-poohed them "I don't need that!" until I had a zillion electric outlets and switches to screw into their boxes when I replaced the entire electrical in our first house. After turning a screwdriver 4000 times on the first few boxes I went out and bought a battery unit and zip zip zip I was done.
I still have my ancient craftsman corded unit but it almost never gets used, though manual screwdrivers still get the occasional action.

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer
I poo-poohed them "I don't need that!" until I had a zillion electric outlets and switches to screw into their boxes when I replaced the entire electrical in our first house. After turning a screwdriver 4000 times on the first few boxes I went out and bought a battery unit and zip zip zip I was done.
I still have my ancient craftsman corded unit but it almost never gets used, though manual screwdrivers still get the occasional action.
Yes, they have their place in light to medium duty work. When I installed some pallet racks a few months ago, I drilled many 9/16” x 3 1/2” deep holes in the concrete. I used my corded 1/2” Mikita drill. It was a very heavy duty job for over 6 hours of pounding,that a cordless couldn’t handle. I was glad to drag the cord around because it gave my hands a short break from the “tingles” caused by the constant vibration. I tried with my Ridged 20v and got 1 hole, completely drained the battery and overheated the drill.
I think EVs are going to be similar in the way we use them. Convenience! Run to the parts store, grocery store, restaurant, etc... When it’s time to grab the trailer, we’ll run to the petrol station and fuel up diesel. we’ll leave the engine run while we hook up the trailer just to hear the old familiar sound, breath deep the beautiful aroma from the exhaust... lol!
I put a deposit on one of those heavy duty Tesla trucks for my son. They sure look strange, but I can hardly wait to see how it can tow. I’ll post a screenshot of some of the specs. 500 mile range (not towing) and 14k towing capacity. Sounds very promising!
1633645510658.jpeg

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #17  

Even in their infancy when they sucked cordless drills offered something that corded drills didn’t. Now days cordless drills offer enough power for any hand held drilling applications with. An electric skid steer offers nothing except feel good over a diesel unit. Well I guess there’s a small market for indoor use but that’s not what they’re being marketed as.

/ Kovaco Electric Skid Steer #18  
Even in their infancy when they sucked cordless drills offered something that corded drills didn’t. Now days cordless drills offer enough power for any hand held drilling applications with. An electric skid steer offers nothing except feel good over a diesel unit. Well I guess there’s a small market for indoor use but that’s not what they’re being marketed as.
Naaahhhh. Those electric skid steers could also be used in mines, where zero emissions are paramount. They could also be used in areas where quiet operation is necessary. I’m sure there’s more places they have an advantage. Maybe very high altitudes, etc.
“infancy” is a critical thing you mention. Gotta remember, these guys making these machines are NOT reinventing the wheel here. The skid steer loader is the same, it’s just the propulsion system. In fact it’s really just the batteries that are holding them back a little.
Technology breakthroughs will improve batteries the same way engines improved.