Traction Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive

/ Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #21  
Found the BX2200 brakes, looks like it has brake on each wheel.

Attachments

• brakes 2200.jpg
    brakes 2200.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 273
   / Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #22  
My Kubota BX 2370 works very well belly mowing up and down fairly steep hills in 4WD. (no FEL)

I realize the braking is going to be better in 4WD... but it seems odd to me that I was not able to stop the tractor at all in 2WD...and I am thinking something may be wrong with this tractor.

Your rear tyres had just enough grip to give traction to move, going down hill you were riding on your front tyres and those little wheels on the mower...

/ Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #23  
Found the BX2200 brakes, looks like it has brake on each wheel.

Although I said "BX", I was speaking about the 2370. Sorry. It is hard to tell, but it does seem like the fiber discs (not the steel plates with cogs) would be splined with the axles. This is similar to my M. This (2200) appears to have a more substantial braking system than the newer BXs.

/ Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #24  
I just looked at at the manual and the BX 23 brakes look the same as the BX 2200

/ Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #25  
Yup, unfortunately this is very common. I did it myself and almost ended up in a lake / tipped over. Luckily the FEL stopped me, though it did flip me around facing up the hill. Now I check 4WD when I go on hills. I'm not familiar with the mechanicals, but like the descriptions above I believe 2WD breaking is basically single wheel braking unless the diff is locked. 4wd gets you more wheels braking and makes a huge difference. It's pretty scary regardless and I bet you check every time now... I know I do!

/ Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #26  
Ah yes the old hill and the two skid mark syndrome. One down the hill and the other in the shorts! A friend brought over a brand new big commercial ZT claiming it would cut my steep hills around the house, same thing, back on the trailer it went! lol

When you find something that can overcome a potentially dangerous job, and then something fails or is over looked, you can find yourself in a dangerous situation in seconds!

I routinely cut my steep hills with the Steiner. No problem. Last year, I forgot to have the deck in float position, so when it went over the edge of the hill, the back end came up and because the steering mechanism probably can't cope with very large loads, the machine jack knifed. It was very quick thinking, jamming the thing into float, and straightening it out that probably averted an accident.

It's why I keep repeating, as far as who operates equipment. It's not when things go smoothly that matters, it's how things are handled when things go awry that can matter the most.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX 2370 out of control on hill in 2W drive #27  
Iv'e earned my brown stripe coming down from my garden. Forgot to switch to 4wd. Serious forged long tine garden rake bounced out of the bucket. I won 6 very evenly spaced holes in my right front tire. We plugged it and it is still holding. Got a new tire in the garage now that I may never have to use......