Kubota BX1800 won't start

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #1  

riverfirm

Tractor
Kubota BX1800
My husband's Kubota BX1800 will make the clicking for the glow plug when you turn key to first station, but when you turn it further there is no sound whatsoever and it doesn't start.Any ideas why? What should we try? Thanks in advance for any help-we are on a fixed income (SS) so it really is hard to take it in for service-plus the bucket is on and since it won't start, not sure we can get the bucket off and the arms up and onto a trailer to take it in.

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #2  
Battery is where I'd start.
Sounds bad.
How old is the battery?

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #3  
Most likely problem is that one of the safety switches (on seat, HST treadle, PTO, etc...) is being triggered for some reason. It will cause the exact behavior you describe. So check all of those safetys.

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #4  
First check the fuses and relays. Next the battery. Then on to the safety switches followed by all the wire connections. Don't forget to tap the starter case with the key on. Then???
Might want to try a boost but bypass the original battery when you do.

If the tractor has to be loaded passing the cable under the front bucket will lift it as you load.

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #5  
I believe there are only 2 safety switches: neutral on the high/ low shifter and off on the PTO. Wiggle the levers around with the switch in start position. If still no go, if you have a volt meter or test light, try it on the small wire on the starter solenoid. You need to see a bright light or 12 volts with the key in the start position. Less than 11 or so volts probably won't engage the solenoid. Low volts is caused by poor connections on the safety switches, provided you have good battery voltage. There is a fix for that if that turns out to be the problem.

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #6  
I made the mistake of power washing my entire engine one year on my Kubota mowers and could not get it to start. I researched and found that there was a starter relay and when the relay got wet I damaged a capacitor. With research I found that the best fix was a John Deere part. The part can be found at this web site: John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM17421

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #7  
I made the mistake of power washing my entire engine one year on my Kubota mowers and could not get it to start. I researched and found that there was a starter relay and when the relay got wet I damaged a capacitor. With research I found that the best fix was a John Deere part. The part can be found at this web site: John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM17421
That kit is for fixing the low voltage to the start solenoid I was referring to. Any automotive store will have a relay that will work and you can make the kit yourself for much less than the JD price. I've done that mod to my Kubota ZD21 mower.

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #8  
I believe there are only 2 safety switches: neutral on the high/ low shifter and off on the PTO. Wiggle the levers around with the switch in start position. If still no go, if you have a volt meter or test light, try it on the small wire on the starter solenoid. You need to see a bright light or 12 volts with the key in the start position. Less than 11 or so volts probably won't engage the solenoid. Low volts is caused by poor connections on the safety switches, provided you have good battery voltage. There is a fix for that if that turns out to be the problem.
Thanks! You saved me many hours of frustration

/ Kubota BX1800 won't start #9  
Cguthrie, did you find the problem ? If so, please let us know what the problem was, so others can possibly use the same fix.