Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions
$40K for a 48 HP diesel with a 72” cut isn’t worth it to anyone but someone with silly big money.

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #12  
I'd test run a ferris before I'd buy another mower of any type. Ferris is the perfect mower imo.
I demoed a Ferris with Kubota diesel engine on my property as well as a ZD331-72 with rear discharge. I ended up buying a ZD326-60P with side discharge to let me mow between tight rows of trees easier.

I didn't like the fact that I had to manually lift the Ferris cutting deck with a foot pedal and get off the machine to adjust deck height. The ZD326 has a hydraulic deck lift and a quick deck cutting height adjustment dial I don't need to get out of the seat for. I really didn't feel like the front wheel suspension did anything for me on my terrain. At least not enough difference to justify the higher Ferris cost and manual deck controls.

I found that the rear discharge Kubota left lots of grass clumps and the deck design used "hooks" on the front corners of the fabricated deck which is a no-go for me, especially around trees. The K side discharge as a rounded front corner so bumping a tree or rock won't hook onto anything.

The K machines I demoed were more stoutly built and had heavier duty fabricated decks. The only modification I've made was adding an air ride seat and R4 like bar tires for better wet grass traction.

Keep in mind these machines were compared 14 years ago...my ZD326 has been bullet proof so far and I think I made the right decision. I've seen my 2010 machine at the dealer recently selling for used what I paid for mine brand new 14 years ago. Go figure. Nuts.

Last edited:
I sold my ZD331 for more than I paid for it. I bought it used with ~1,000 hours in ~2014 for $5,000 and sold it needing repairs, for $5,500. The buyer was made aware it needed repairs and couldn’t throw cash at me fast enough.

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #14  
I really like my 1211. I looked at the Ferris diesel but the 1211 was a good bit less than half the Ferris price. That's as easy as picking Charles Barkley for your pickup basketball team.

I can’t explain why, but the 1211-72 has markedly better traction than the ZD331.
I know I mentioned this before.
I am barely using the F-3680 when working solo.

With my helper, we will need to run both machines, so I will run the F while he runs the 1211.
I’m seriously considering selling the F and picking up a newer ZD331 for the flatter areas and using the 1211-72 for more challenging slopes.