Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue

/ Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue #11  
Looks like the bearing may be loose in the housing?

Machine shop can repair it if that's the case. Replacement gearboxes are probably pretty expensive to buy...

/ Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue
You know, that crossed my mind after my last post. I don't remember it taking any force to remove that bearing. I'll go back and check it tomorrow. New housings are like ~350.00 I wonder if it would make sense to take it to a machine shop. I have no idea what a job like that would cost.

/ Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue #13  
Unfortunately the 90 degree gear boxes in all the newer models seem to be proprietary and parts are pretty well only available from Kubota...

$350 is not so bad if that would get you back in business, but I would expect there will be several other items needed.

/ Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue #14  
Before I would spend big money on a housing, I’d try a fix I used on a 5 speed transmission case. you could use a sharp punch and dimple the in side of the housing where the bearing race rides. Around the dimple, the edges will rise up a little. The metal has to go somewhere. Smear heavy duty lock-tite in the housing to help the race from spinning. The bearing will have very little turning force in the housing anyway. The dimples will just snug the fit up a little.

/ Kubota ZD321 deck gearbox removal issue #15  
Before I would spend big money on a housing, I’d try a fix I used on a 5 speed transmission case. you could use a sharp punch and dimple the in side of the housing where the bearing race rides. Around the dimple, the edges will rise up a little. The metal has to go somewhere. Smear heavy duty lock-tite in the housing to help the race from spinning. The bearing will have very little turning force in the housing anyway. The dimples will just snug the fit up a little.

You are kidding eh?

It's a cast iron housing.

Last edited: