L-5040 GST Dies when trying to go forward

/ L-5040 GST Dies when trying to go forward #11  
... it acts just like the tractor just shuts off. On the digital dash it says service. But it will always fire right back up in neutral but when you shift to forward or reverse and let the clutch out it immediately dies. And it may do this for about 10 minutes then run as normal.
I did notice this weekend that if I held the rpm's up when shifting into forward that 90% of the time it would power through the shut off and be fine. I haven't used my pto and correct me if I'm wrong but the seat sensor wouldn't even allow the tractor to start even in neutral,as well as some of the other sensors correct ?
You are correct - a seat sensor or any other switch problem should not let you turn the key and allow the starter to crank.

What you describe sounds very much like a fuel problem. I have pasted and enhanced my suggestions from another thread that sounded like a fuel problem:

Remove the fuel filter. If it is empty, fuel is not getting from the tank to the filter, meaning fuel pump problem or line blockage before the filter. I just had such an incident last month with a pump that was intermittently failing. When it was activated (turned ignition switch to "on") and fuel line was disconnected/free, sometimes the pump ran, sometimes not - sometimes when running it pumped fuel and sometimes it wouldn't.

Once upon a time I found an elbow going into the filter was blocked with trash, like I forgot to replace the fuel cap once or twice or ... :)

If the fuel filter is full, then a good chance is that there is water in the filter or filter is stopped up.

Once I found that the pickup screen inside the tank was plugged, so even though pump and filter were good, they were starved for fuel. With this situation the engine was loosing power until it got to where it might not start, or would only start after sitting for a while.

Fuel starvation symptoms may come on suddenly, but sometimes it is an issue of declining power over a short period of time as the "final stages of clogging" takes place. Can't use lots of power, then can't use typical power, then can't use low amounts.

/ L-5040 GST Dies when trying to go forward
Thanks for all the info as I will check tomorrow and see. I believe I looked at the filter bowl before when this started and it was full but I will check. To me I think it's a service engine like trip reminder the newer cars have or something. This is my first Kubota having what is a digital type dash. And I'm not out at my tractor now but I believe the dash says something to the effect of "SERVICE"
And it's more of a sensor or electrical shut off as when you first from neutral to forward or reverse the minute the shifter hits those points the engine dies. And it's always on initial start up. I have tried to let it idle to warm the engine a little, no dice ! The only way I have overcome it is to manually rev the engine up while shifting forward and usually it will power through the dying. And once past this stage the tractor will run all day turning engine off and on with no problems.

OP is about to learn why gear and power shift tractors have all those speed choices. It's a GST, no need to start off in a high gear. Next stop; clutch failure.
That's ok Rick B it's not my first tractor nor rodeo either and I suppose 30+ years in the automotive business and my own shop I can do the clutch if necessary. And I was only starting out in the second range of forward speeds but you would have to be familiar with the GST to comment. This is as though the engine shuts down immediately when shifting to the forward or reverse gear selection.
Does Kubota have a service intervals that are triggered by the hours or scheduled maintenance that would shut down the tractor to promote service ? Thanks again, Rich

/ L-5040 GST Dies when trying to go forward #15  
The service indicator is triggered by hours of use and does not include any shutdown feature. Your operator manual has instructions on how to reset the display.

/ L-5040 GST Dies when trying to go forward #16  
It will crank with a defective (open) seat safety switch. Trust me I found that out the hard way. Find the plug going to the seat switch, unplug it and short across it so it imitates a closed circuit. If the problem disappears that is the culprit.

Thanks , I'll be checking that today.

Well a little update as now tractor is dead in the water so to speak. I raised the seat to find the seat switch was half as-ed bypassed and making intermittent connection. So I properly bypassed and although I have current through bypassing the seat all I get is a click. So I checked all the fuses and there was a 5a fuse burned out and she fired right up.
My question is what is involved to fix the seat sensor? I suppose it involves taking the seat apart?

And thank you Dave M7040 as your pics were a real help although mine is GST trans and I don't believe it has the shuttle switch. But again thank you.