Landscape edging around foundation

/ Landscape edging around foundation #1  

Mean Jean

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L1801 and Massey 65
Wife is adamant that she wants stone around the perimeter of the house. Black plastic edging to separate the grass from the stone.

My concern is that the black edging will trap water and force it down into the weeping tiles forcing the system to work harder than it needs to.

Although I like the idea of stone I prefer grass as it will carry the water away from the foundation wall.

Will the plastic edging cause problems down the line?

I understand that the lions share of water will be handled by a proper working eaves trough system.

Thanks in advance,

Mean Jean

/ Landscape edging around foundation #2  
I don't think the plastic will be deep enough to cause a backup of water. I have stone and plastic edging and have had no problems.

/ Landscape edging around foundation #3  
Whats your soil type? Stone is porous.... it's not going to trap water unless you're putting it on top of solid clay. You can give it a little slope away from the house, too.

I did this around part of the back of my new house last year and plan to finish it up this spring. Much nicer looking and way better than having dirt splash all over the foundation and siding.

/ Landscape edging around foundation #4  
Definitely go with stone. I did this and it's been great. I didn't use edging. I just dug a trench 6" or so deep, 12 inch wide and filled it with stone. The stone stays in place and I mow right over it.

/ Landscape edging around foundation #5  
We did this---ended up loosing the battle against the grass.

I sprays the grass. put down a double layer of landscape cloth and 4 years later, the grass had filled in.

Good luck

/ Landscape edging around foundation #6  
As KennyG said key is digging trench deep enough. Neighbor had borders around everything, spade deep is all.
Kept weeds and grass from growing and you can mow the edge instead of weed eater.

/ Landscape edging around foundation #7  
I forgot to mention I did lay down landscape cloth in the trench before I put in 6" of stone. I wasn't sure if it was necessary but it was easy to do. Over 5 years and no weeds and no stones in the grass.

/ Landscape edging around foundation
Thank you all for the advise.
I've fixed many cracked foundations including my west side to the tune of $1200 and a week of hard labor. Want to make sure I handle the run off properly.

The Hutterites nearby sell 3/4 crushed granite for $25 a yard which I consider a **** of a deal.
Will take pictures.