Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower?

/ Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #1  

ck90211

Tractor
Deere 1025R, Kioti NX5510HC
I have a nice zero turn but like to use my newly purchased CX2510 Cab as a lawn mowing machine in summer time for comfort, safety (poison ivy, thorny bushes), and to maximize its use especially during full warranty period. I have 2.5 acres relatively flat terrain (with some mowing around fence posts). Like to know your lawn mowing setup (type of mower, tire loaded or, psi) and how you would improve it.

I know zero turns are faster, better and cheaper than tractors for lawn mowing but with $30K invested in a cab tractor I just want to try to maximize its uses.

Thanks.

/ Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #2  
I too have gone thru this thought exercise. My situation is 2 acres of heavy clay soil that is imperfectly drained from November to June. This is also the time period when it is green and growing. From July till October dries out, turns brown and hard - except for the septic fields. The surface is generally level, but there are some side slopes that are steepish.

My Husqvarna ZRT with low air pressure in the tires works best for the following reasons: 1) minimal soil compaction 2) high speedblades make a clean cut 3) while the ZRT does not like the side slopes it does less damage than a heavy tractor 4) it is smaller and better in tight corners, around trees and septic tank accesses 5) it has no FEL that will always be in the way when cutting grass.

I have CaCl in my rear CS tires and weights on the back as I primarily use it for FEL/Pallet Fork work in tight spots .......and after I figured out the correct counter weight balance to max out the FEL lift capacity, it does the job I need it to do over surfaces a fork lift does not like - particularly during the monsoon months.

Putting hours on the CS is not an issue for me, but in my situation the ZRT is the option that does least lawn damage while maximizing efficiency of my time.

The answer to your question will likely be very individual to ones conditions and circumstances.

There will be no one solution, just many options, choices and trade-offs.

/ Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #3  
The weight of your cab is functionally equivalent to loaded rear tires on an open station tractor. Whenever you add weight to a tractor your tires are more likely to RUT whatever ground the tractor passes over. R1/ag tires rut worse than R4/industrial tires.

Mower types:

Last edited:
   / Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #4  
I have loaded R1 tires on my Branson 2400H with mid-mount mower on flat ground. If I forget and leave in front wheel assist the front tires then leave tracks when turning. If gets real wet I will use the Deere X540 but I prefer the Branson since has larger tires and it rides smoother and provides better cut.

If you have trees will the cab prevent cutting around them?

Like others have stated no one perfect answer for all occasions

/ Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #5  
Out on the lawn I prefer a lighter machine. The sub cut and cut tractors stay out on the "tier 2" grass. I have well drained solid soil but I get what I call compaction ruts from weekly mowing with the heavier machines.

I run 3 PT finish decks, I have a 5' and a 6', the BX R-4's aren't loaded, the CX is a cab with loaded R-14's

Last edited:
   / Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower? #6  
I understand you wanting to use the tractor but you already have the better tool for the job. This is like using a sledgehammer to drive nails simply because you paid more for it than a framing hammer. My open station CX with filled tires will rut my yard if Im not careful, especially after a lot of rain but my zero turn will not. Also, the CS and CX are two totally different machines when it comes to weight.

/ Lawn mowing with your CS/CX. Loaded tires or no? Mid mount or 3pt? Flail or Finish mower?
Thanks for comments/suggestions so far. I do have a very good homeowner's zero turn (one of those Cub Cadet with steering wheel, serviceable transmission and Kawasaki FR730V) but part of my "excuse" for upgrading from a CS to a CX cab isn't to replace the zero turn but to enhance my time and enjoyment working outside and improving my property(ies) and be more self-reliant on food sources/safety. And since mowing is my top chore I just thought it would be nice to incorporate some into my CX uses.