Leaking front axle seals, advice on the proper way to disassemble nut?

/ Leaking front axle seals, advice on the proper way to disassemble nut? #1  
Tractor
2012 LS 3033
I have a 2012 LS 3033, the front axle seals are leaking. I have it torn down and the parts in hand, looking for any advice on the "proper way" to spin off the nut on the spline/shaft. The detent on the nut locks it in there. I've seen castle nuts and pins before, but this setup is new. I have ordered new nuts, so I dont mind destroying these, but I do not want to harm the threads or shaft. Also concerned about getting anything introduced into the bearing right behind it. Shaving etc. See pic. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8202.jpg
    IMG_8202.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
   / Leaking front axle seals, advice on the proper way to disassemble nut? #2  
I would use a punch and tap it out of the keyway....

/ Leaking front axle seals, advice on the proper way to disassemble nut? #3  
Yep. I would try to get a punch in there and tap it back. You might need to force the nut a bit, at first, but should come off. Take a file to it when you're done.

/ Leaking front axle seals, advice on the proper way to disassemble nut? #4  
I just pulled my hub assembly apart due to a broken bearing. I tried the punch method with no results. I simply drilled it out with an appropriate sized drill bit. Tape it up to cover the bearing and put a shop vac at the drill site to keep the shavings out of the bearing.

Where did you find parts? I am having a bit of trouble finding parts for my XR4155HC. I need a right front hub assembly.

Last edited: