Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #1  

bsailors

Tractor
Kubota BX2350
Developed a slow leak at the right front hydraulic steering (not sure correct term) seal, this is the cylinder that is attached to the tie rod (make sense?). Approx 3 tablespoons leaked out in 7 days, not much, and would just leave it, but the tractor lives in the garage.

Have any of you guys changed this out? How hard is it?

BX2350, approx 300 hours.

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #2  
Yes and not too hard.

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350
Yes and not too hard.

What is the basic process? Does the tie rod end screw off? The process wasn't 1005 obvious to me, I didnt know if the cylinder would turn or if I could just put a wrench on the tie rod side and unscrew it...

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #4  
image.jpgimage.jpg

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #6  
Excellent, thanks so much!

As someone who is getting ready to do this, I would point out it is important to understand WHY you seals are leaking. Most likely you have a rough spot on the cylinder somewhere. If you are replacing the seals without fixing the root cause, you will be doing this again soon.

The tech at Messicks told me to use high quality emory cloth to smooth out any nicks or scratches in the hydraulic cylinder before putting the seal kit in.

Also, I am interested in finding a GOOD brush guard to protect not only the cylinder but also the tie rod boots. I know bro-tek used to make one, but their site is down and can't find any on ebay.

Anybody have thoughts on how to fab up a STRONG steering hydraulic guard? Or can you point me in the right direction to getting one online somewhere?

Thanks,
amp

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #7  
As someone who is getting ready to do this, I would point out it is important to understand WHY you seals are leaking. Most likely you have a rough spot on the cylinder somewhere. If you are replacing the seals without fixing the root cause, you will be doing this again soon.

The tech at Messicks told me to use high quality emory cloth to smooth out any nicks or scratches in the hydraulic cylinder before putting the seal kit in.

Also, I am interested in finding a GOOD brush guard to protect not only the cylinder but also the tie rod boots. I know bro-tek used to make one, but their site is down and can't find any on ebay.

Anybody have thoughts on how to fab up a STRONG steering hydraulic guard? Or can you point me in the right direction to getting one online somewhere?

Thanks,
amp

For today, the simple solution has been a bowl under the offending seal when parked. The leak is VERY slight, maybe a teaspoon a week or less.

But yes, that is a good point to check to see what caused it. I checked the cylinder pretty closely, didnt see any imperfections, but will look again.

And I just realized that I have two accounts, I dont remember doing that at all... I must be getting old.

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #8  
And I just realized that I have two accounts, I dont remember doing that at all... I must be getting old.

The pre-post beers can have that effect! ;-)

I have been unable to find a good steering guard online. I called Bxpanded and they have one in the works but from the way he talked, they won't be releasing it anytime soon. Thinking of hitting the local welding shops and getting one fabed up with the money i'll save on doing my own steering hydraulic seals and tie rod ends. The local dealer wanted $420 to put in the steering hydraulic kit and the tie rods. I bought the parts from messicks for $130 and will save almost 300 in labor i could put toward a protector setup.

/ Leaking Hydraulic fluid, right front steering BX2350 #9  
if i do fab one up, i'll probably incorporate a front receiver hitch into it somehow. then a winch is an easy add on as is the ability to push the trailer around the yard while driving forward. etc. i have a receiver mounted in the bucket but that puts the weight pretty far forward and i have actually lifted one of the back wheels off the ground moving our larger trailer. a receiver hitch might also be a dandy place to rig up a snow plow.

just thinking (typing) out loud here.