Legal?

/ Legal?
Those didn't have a DPF, at least I don't think so and I used to work for International so hopefully I would know... In 2006 they had a catalytic muffler. Almost all that I know of have been removed now, they were fairly expensive to replace IIRC and most people just put a normal muffler in place. I wouldn't worry about it
Owner described it as a DPF and said he str8 piped it, but he doesn’t seem really informed

/ Legal? #22  
Possibly if the door tag says it was built to CA spec and there is a SC state standard that smog gear can't ever be tampered with, then in theory the cop might have a case.

I think CA does have a never-tamper standard and it makes upgrading an old car, difficult.
Again...CA can not dictate laws or actions in SC. No matter how crafty they try to word things. If there was a state law saying no tampering, the truck would not even be able to be sold to prompt this discussion.

No state can influence the action of people in another state. Federalism.

/ Legal?
As the owner explains it to me, he bought truck from CA with DPF, had it shipped to SC, removed DPF of SC soil. SC has no emission inspections, so other than for exhaust leaks, the exhaust system isn’t even tested.

/ Legal? #24  
This thread sounds like trying to justify pole vaulting over mouse poop. the chances of getting caught with an altered exhaust is very low. And unless the right cop was on the job most officers wouldn't even know how to right it up if it was discovered.

In IL is is illegal to alter exhaust for the purpose of increasing noise. So glass packs, cherry bombs, thrush exhaust or Catback exhaust is illegal unless installed at the factory. But muffler shops will still modify your exhaust and send you down the road.

/ Legal? #25  
Again...CA can not dictate laws or actions in SC. No matter how crafty they try to word things. If there was a state law saying no tampering, the truck would not even be able to be sold to prompt this discussion.

No state can influence the action of people in another state. Federalism.
Maybe I should have emphasized more that the CA no-tamper rule is only for car registration in CA. Not elsewhere.

Looking to see if the smog gear is still there is part of the checklist on the smog test required here every few years. If you're not going to bring a vehicle and register it here then you have nothing to worry about!

/ Legal?
This thread sounds like trying to justify pole vaulting over mouse poop. the chances of getting caught with an altered exhaust is very low. And unless the right cop was on the job most officers wouldn't even know how to right it up if it was discovered.

In IL is is illegal to alter exhaust for the purpose of increasing noise. So glass packs, cherry bombs, thrush exhaust or Catback exhaust is illegal unless installed at the factory. But muffler shops will still modify your exhaust and send you down the road.

Not if you live in a state with annual emission inspections. You’d be caught, but if the state doesn’t require a DPF in anything before 2008, it doesn’t matter.

PA doesn’t have emissions inspections, but there is a growing movement to shut down shops removing DPF/DEF systems here in PA, but thats not the issue here.

/ Legal? #27  
The feds got smart and went after the companies doing the software to trick the truck into thinking the DPF was working as it should. It makes going after the actual shops a moot point.

Unfortunately the deletes are a dying thing. It's almost impossible to delete a truck now, even in states that allow it passively by not checking for emissions. It's unfortunate because a deleted truck runs so good and it's reliable. Not to mention it uses less fossil fuel than a EPA truck.

I have a 2006 6.0 powerstoke in cold storage for the day I can no longer delete new trucks. It will be worth more than a new truck.