Loader and bypass valve questions

/ Loader and bypass valve questions #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Hey All,
Finally, after many false starts, I am starting on the power steering install for my Yanmar YM2310. I am trying to figure out the best hose routing but I also could use some info on the valves I have and where to connect (and not connect) some hoses.

The FEL on this tractor has a valve made by AKON and I can't find my valve on their web site. I think the valve might be a power beyond type but I don't know so I'm asking here. The FEL is plumbed so that the oil from the hydraulic pump goes directly to the valve block. The lines leading from the valve block go to the FEL cylinders as well as one line that goes back to the 3 point hitch and another line that goes into the top of the transmission, which is also the sump. Does this make it a power beyond valve?

My next question is about a diverter valve I bought and how to plumb it. It came with no documentation and even though I emailed the guy I bought it from he has not responded. The valve block has 3 ports, INPUT, CF, and BYPASS. INPUT is pretty clear, I imagine CF means Controlled Flow. I am thinking that the oil should flow from the pump to the INLET port, then the CF port should be plumbed to the steering cylinder, and finally the BYPASS port should be plumbed to the FEL valve block.

My last question is the plumbing from the steering cylinder to the sump. Is it a good idea to add a tee in the line from the FEL valve to the sump and then plumb both the FEL and the steering cylinder into the same line that then goes into the sump?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Loader and bypass valve questions #2  
Yes it sounds like you have a PB loader valve. And the PB is the one feeding the 3PH with the return being the sump

Any link to the diverter. Not sure a diverter is the best method for adding power steering. A flow divider would be more appropriate.

And yes its okay to tee return lines. Provided that it can handle the flow with little to no back pressure. I dont know the size of the line or the GPM of the tractor.

/ Loader and bypass valve questions
Yes it sounds like you have a PB loader valve. And the PB is the one feeding the 3PH with the return being the sump

Any link to the diverter. Not sure a diverter is the best method for adding power steering. A flow divider would be more appropriate.

And yes its okay to tee return lines. Provided that it can handle the flow with little to no back pressure. I dont know the size of the line or the GPM of the tractor.
Thanks for the quick reply. I called the divider a diverter. Oops. I'm glad you caught that. I wondered how my system worked. Now I know at least one use for a PB valve. I'm thinking I should use larger diameter hose after the tee. The existing hose is 1/4. It looks to me like I can use 3/8 so I will do that if I can and also put the tee as close as possible to the sump. I would put it right at the sump but on my tractor the return to the sump is right on top of the transmission and since my tractor was made for small Japanese feet my bigger feet in even bigger boots seem to get caught on stuff when climbing onto the tractor. There is already one hose going into the sump and I would like to keep it that way.
Thanks,
Eric