Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me)

/ Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me) #1  

Beeenvenue

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti 3510SE HST
I just acquired a Loftness 177 flail via auction. As best I can tell this is basically the same as what they sell now as a 72M. (I downloaded the 72M manual and all of the dimensions, parts, and appearances seem to be identical, and I found and ordered a sample of 72m flails which are an identical match for mine).

This will be my first flail. It needs help before I can use it for real - gearbox oil somewhat milky and thin, flails dull and many bent/corroded - but otherwise seems to be in great shape. I hooked it up and ran it for a few minutes and all seems good otherwise.

can anyone confirm this is really an “early model” 72M and what the approximate age of mine may be?

the manual for the 72m is woefully short on setup tips. Any specifics on this model? (I know to get the gear input level with the top link, what else?)

ive tried to read the monster flail thread but there just far too many off topic posts to find the nuggets, but regardless Loftness 3-pt flails don’t seem to be discussed there or anywhere on the net I can find.

14 acres of almost no trees, pasture grass that is 4”-24” depending on time of year. I just want a nicer cut and better mulching/shorter clippings than my current rotary mower.

My land does have quite a bit of up and down - not hills, more like many undulations that can get fairly steep to the point I won’t cross them at 90 degrees with my rotary.

Last edited:
   / Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me) #2  
Had a Loftness stubble beater years ago. Was a stout piece of equipment. Sold it but never had an issue with it.

/ Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me) #3  
I just acquired a Loftness 177 flail via auction. As best I can tell this is basically the same as what they sell now as a 72M. (I downloaded the 72M manual and all of the dimensions, parts, and appearances seem to be identical, and I found and ordered a sample of 72m flails which are an identical match for mine).

This will be my first flail. It needs help before I can use it for real - gearbox oil somewhat milky and thin, flails dull and many bent/corroded - but otherwise seems to be in great shape. I hooked it up and ran it for a few minutes and all seems good otherwise.

can anyone confirm this is really an “early model” 72M and what the approximate age of mine may be?

the manual for the 72m is woefully short on setup tips. Any specifics on this model? (I know to get the gear input level with the top link, what else?)

ive tried to read the monster flail thread but there just far too many off topic posts to find the nuggets, but regardless Loftness 3-pt flails don’t seem to be discussed there or anywhere on the net I can find.

14 acres of almost no trees, pasture grass that is 4”-24” depending on time of year. I just want a nicer cut and better mulching/shorter clippings than my current rotary mower.

My land does have quite a bit of up and down - not hills, more like many undulations that can get fairly steep to the point I won’t cross them at 90 degrees with my rotary.

You need to change the oil first with fresh 90 weight gear oil and then replace every side slicer knife that is damaged or bent
as it will affect the balance of the flail mower rotor.

Loftness makes a lot of farm equipment and they have a national dealer network so obtaining parts
will not be an issue.

Check for an ID tag under the V belt guard cover and on the front cross member of the flail mower. If the flail mowers steel is not rotted
it should be easy to find.

If you can post some pictures that would be great as I need to know if it has a rear roller or not as you need to
be sure that the gear box is level to properly adjust the flail mowers cutting height.

Don't worry, you will be mowing in a bit as long as you have the correct PTO drive shaft length and new V belts.

BE VERY SURE TO purchase V belts with the same lot number as if you do not they will not work properly as they will have different
batches of rubber compound and nylon cordage used to reinforce the V belt carcass.

/ Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me)
You need to change the oil first with fresh 90 weight gear oil and then replace every side slicer knife that is damaged or bent
as it will affect the balance of the flail mower rotor.

Loftness makes a lot of farm equipment and they have a national dealer network so obtaining parts
will not be an issue.

Check for an ID tag under the V belt guard cover and on the front cross member of the flail mower. If the flail mowers steel is not rotted
it should be easy to find.

If you can post some pictures that would be great as I need to know if it has a rear roller or not as you need to
be sure that the gear box is level to properly adjust the flail mowers cutting height.

Don't worry, you will be mowing in a bit as long as you have the correct PTO drive shaft length and new V belts.

BE VERY SURE TO purchase V belts with the same lot number as if you do not they will not work properly as they will have different
batches of rubber compound and nylon cordage used to reinforce the V belt carcass.
Thanks. It DOES have a rear roller - if you look up the 72M it appears identical even down to the number of blade pairs and belts.
The unit has a new appearing triple bx51 and I purchased a spare to match - so there should be no issue with lot numbers.
I don’t live on my land (yet) so I can’t get photos for a couple of days and will post then.
As far as parts: no one shows parts or any info for a Loftness 177. I can find the blades at HardHitter and the sunset in ordered (style 8600) area perfect match. I can’t find any other Loftness spares listed anywhere but fortunately the manual for the 72M calls out all common parts for anything except the actual rotor and roller. That’s why I’d like to know the lineage of the 177 to see if it is really just an early-different name version of the 72M

/ Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me) #5  
I like the idea of a flail mower. So I checked out the 72M on the Loftness site.

5030 - you have had/operated a Loftness flail. Are they so much better/heavier to justify the price??

The 72M lists for $7661.

Update. Forgot to take pictures. Working through the bolt/knife removal. Most are pretty banged up, some look like they can be reversed (leading edge on all are damaged - some worn so much I don’t want to reverse due to balance, others bent at 90 degrees instead of stock 30 degrees). Not much room to work to break 20-25 year old grade 8 fully torqued bolts. I have one row (of the 4) removed.

Replaced about 1/3 of the knives and sharpened the others. Remarkably consistent at 192-198 grams each after sharpening (and new as well - only HardHitter carries them).

Changed the oil and took it for a spin. Cuts well and even in reverse. I’m less than impressed on the mulching, it cuts 6-24” grass but leaves quit a bit of residue that is just grass cuttings. Much more smoothly dispersed than from my rotary cutter but not as fine as I would have liked.

My kioti ck3510 handled this 1040 lb, 6’ cut/84” wide beast with zero issues. The pto shaft was too short - only had about an inch of overlap. Cheap fix was to buy a 6” long, $75 overrunning clutch from Amazon - plenty of pto engagement now AND the overrun feature lets the flails coast down when I disengage the pto. Highly recommend.

It is indeed a 72M as seen on the tag which is in the open, not under anything - I just missed it - despite the huge 177 markings

Bought for $700 plus about $450 in higher torque tools, flails, and replacing an all 48 grade 8 bolts. Now I have a $7600 machine for $1150 investment and a little elbow grease

395DB2AE-710F-4C20-952D-5C7C23B38192.jpeg
202E1077-7122-4634-9003-B13E95D317E4.jpeg
CD84D3D6-4672-4D51-B498-1AC03ED61109.jpeg
89021E21-A4F2-4A31-934F-6B91F2546659.jpeg
89021E21-A4F2-4A31-934F-6B91F2546659.jpeg
34F2D6C6-4F8D-4158-8F43-BF435C54A28A.jpeg

/ Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me) #8  
I'm envious. I would have spent that amount, easily, if I could get something like that.

I'm envious. I would have spent that amount, easily, if I could get something like that.
The best part was I saw it listed on tractor house for 2500, later for 2000. Then saw somewhere else for 1500 and thought about it when I learned it was at an auction house and finally due for auction. Bid 500, someone countered at 6, I went to 700 and felt very fortunate to get it at that price.

A local branch of a large JD chain is listing a used efgc 175 ( I may have the model wrong, but it is the Chinese betstco/farmer helper) which costs $2200 new for $2800. Caveat emptor!