log splitter project

/ log splitter project #11  
Maybe you're ok with a 30-second split time but I'd get annoyed waiting. My big 5" cyl. splitter takes 24 sec to cycle and I wish it were faster.
I wonder if there's a way to use a flywheel with a dog clutch between the flywheel and the screw. It's true you want to be able to disable the rotation quickly. The dog clutch wouldn't be used much, just when needed, and could be a simple thing I think. I just googled dog clutch and got nowhere though...
Jim

/ log splitter project #12  
I have no suggestions but can give you a few numbers. I use one of those cone-shaped screw splitters on the PTO of my tractor. If I wanted 540 PTO speed I would have to run the engine at 2600rpm. That would be way too fast though. I run the engine at 1500rpm and that splits wood fast enough so I only have to wait 1-8 seconds per split depending on wood species and thickness. The cone only has 3 "threads" per inch so it pulls the wood on rather fast. Since you are working with 8 threads per inch your power does not need to be as high as it will drive itself less into the wood per revolution. Good luck with the project and post pictures.

/ log splitter project
Hello Folk, Its time for me to fess up. My cone was no better than the engineering shops. The extra reduction is spot on though.
My "tooth" profile was a bit like corrogated iron, not sharp enough, or deep enough I suspect. I deepened it with an angle grinder and tried to use a tapered file to sharpen it but still not good.

It will go in aways but then just churns out fine sawdust, then starts smoking.

I'm considering buying a cone from U.K or U.S.A. (with replacable tips) but cannot get through to those I've tried so if anyone can get me a contact I would appreciate it.
Regards Vince Smith.