Long term tractor storage.....and less long term

/ Long term tractor storage.....and less long term #11  
Thanks for all the comments. I did not know diesel didn't go bad over a period of time. My containers all have vents and I've never noticed a condensation issue.

As previously noted, that can depend on the diesel (which isn't as uniform of a composition from country to country as one would think) - and the storage conditions. .....and how long you're wanting to store it.

Most research that I've seen would indicate that even under "ideal" storage conditions (kept dry and below 70°F) diesel will last 6 to 12 months at most without a stabilizer. Just for consideration: when it comes to really long term storage even engine oils need to be considered as they (like fuels) will break down (or possibly become contaminated by microorganisms look for a meal). Unrefined oil may last for millions of years underground, but refined oils and fuels were designed for a specific purpose and given time they aren't likely to - or won't- be appropriate for that purpose.

Personally living in Alabama, I add stabilizers to the diesel year round with the amount of stabilizer varying per season (how much I'll be using it) and stabilizer manufacturer's recommendations. Since I'd not sure I'd want to deal with the long-term storage maintenance I think I'd run at least a tank to a tank and half of fuel through the system a year at minimum - and keep an eye on the engine oil (or follow a/the time-based oil change interval rather the running-hour-based one).

Other than that the batteries and tires would also need to be watched (or removed). ....basically all the sorts of things militaries/governments tend to do when putting a vehicle (or major sub-components like engines) into storage for years.

/ Long term tractor storage.....and less long term #12  
Our Massey Ferguson 1533 sat for 6 years without running, fuel in the tank - no stabilizer as far as we know. Knowing that oil breaks down, we pushed the machine out of the garage (temp controlled) and then drained the oil before first start. After the fresh oil was in, we ran the engine for about 5 to 6 hours and changed the oil and filter again. 25 hours of use later, we changed the oil again. Massey recommends 50 hour intervals on oil change. We are now on that schedule. We also had the hydraulic fluid changed. As to the fuel, we just topped her up with fresh fuel and ran the old fuel through her. She never burped, hiccuped or had issues. I didn't mention it but assumed all would know the battery was dead and had to be replaced.

This tractor sits most of the winter although whenever I am on site, I do run the machine and warm it up. That may be 20 minutes every 2-3 months in the winter. In summer, the machine is used 10 to 15 days. My point: this machine sits but it is in a controlled temp situation.

/ Long term tractor storage.....and less long term #13  
Our Massey Ferguson 1533 sat for 6 years without running, fuel in the tank - no stabilizer as far as we know. Knowing that oil breaks down, we pushed the machine out of the garage (temp controlled) and then drained the oil before first start. After the fresh oil was in, we ran the engine for about 5 to 6 hours and changed the oil and filter again. 25 hours of use later, we changed the oil again. Massey recommends 50 hour intervals on oil change. We are now on that schedule. We also had the hydraulic fluid changed. As to the fuel, we just topped her up with fresh fuel and ran the old fuel through her. She never burped, hiccuped or had issues. I didn't mention it but assumed all would know the battery was dead and had to be replaced.

50 hours for an engine oil change? I'm betting your manual says 50 hours for the initial oil change and 100 hours thereafter. I have the same Iseki 1.5L 3-cyl diesel in my Massey Furgeson tractor as you do and my manual recommends a 100 hour engine oil change.

Edit: I just looked up your 1533 manual online and it is 100 hours.

/ Long term tractor storage.....and less long term #14  
50 hours for an engine oil change? I'm betting your manual says 50 hours for the initial oil change and 100 hours thereafter. I have the same Iseki 1.5L 3-cyl diesel in my Massey Furgeson tractor as you do and my manual recommends a 100 hour engine oil change.

Edit: I just looked up your 1533 manual online and it is 100 hours.

Thanks Arizona98tj. On a website (which I can't find now), I found a recommended service list that stated the 50 hour regular change. I do have the manual and it indeed says 100 hours. Since you have success with that, I'm going to change our schedule to 100 hours from here out.