looking for a replacement round baler

/ looking for a replacement round baler #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
I'm thinking of looking for a replacement for my Gehl 1460. I only just started looking so I hope its not too close to spring time that itll affect the pricing...I would like to stay under 7k if I can and from just the little bit of looking today it might be doable. So far, the NH644 has caught my eye. I would prefer to stick with twine and 4x5 bales...Any advice to give and any certain baler's to steer clear of? I would probably consider net wrap, but I just assume those would be well out of my price range. I'm not really in a hurry so if I have to wait and maybe pick one up late summer or early fall then I can do that as well..

/ looking for a replacement round baler #2  
If I had to buy a used 4x5, I'd go with the New Holland line you mentioned, 640 644 648 BR740 BR740A etc or Deere 456 457 458 459 etc. CaseIH sold the NH balers in their colors, 451 452 453 454 etc.

At least here, those are the most popular balers and dealer service is present if needed.

/ looking for a replacement round baler #3  
Just picked up a new NH RB450 to compliment my other baler. Really looking forward to ripping it up this year. The boys are ready to make some hay. Hoping to be at 1500 tons.

/ looking for a replacement round baler #4  
In Feb 2019 I had to purchase all of my own hay making equipment as my steady "hay man" passed away due to cancer. Having $15K budget for everything (already had the tractor) I attended a local auction and visited two local dealers. I managed to get everything I needed including a $5,700 NH648 baler. When you buy used equipment you can expect to have repairs to make and deferred maintenance to perform before you begin making hay. My baler was a perfect example. Not knowing much about these things I hired a respected, local mechanic who went through it, replaced some hydraulic hoses, two tires, a chain etc. and said it was "ready to go". Well, not really. Lesson #1, balers should be stored indoors as any rust will cause sticking components, in my case the twine arms, and the darn thing wouldn't work right. Long story short, I made a number of additional repairs, learned how to diagnose and fix it myself and by the 2020 hay season it was working really well. Over the winter I did some more repairs, two more chains, hydraulic hose, bale counter, idler wheels, ujoint, jaw clutch adjustments.... you get the idea. Looking forward to a trouble free season. It's almost a given you'll have some work to do on your $5K baler before it will work reliably for you. Learn how to repair it, keep it well lubricated and out of the weather and clean after every use. A back pack leaf blower works really well. Good luck.

/ looking for a replacement round baler #5  
Consider a Vermeer Rebel 5400? I bought one used, added hay gathering wheels and with an 8 wheel v-rake it made a perfect 4x5 bale every time.

/ looking for a replacement round baler #6  
Whatever you do, NEVER pressure wash any hay tools. Just blow them off with compressed air, keep them greased and the chains oiled and keep them inside during the off season.

I run a net / twine NH and I did that for a reason, mainly if one wrap operation is giving me issues, I can switch to the other.