Traction Looking for advice on stump removal

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #31  
Termites and other bugs can't breathe water. Buried deep they stay wet and are cut off from oxygen they don't rot.

But for removing them go big or go home.

https://youtu.be/hHXK2t50S-8

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #32  
Hire a dozer, a big one.

I hired one to build a building pad. There was a 36" stump in the way. He angled the blade, lowered it and drove forward. He did that twice and the stump was out.

It took less than 2 minutes to remove that stump.

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #33  
I find buried pine turns straight to dirt. The stumps turn to either a red color or black. My problem with burring stumps is not everyone has a place to put them. If your land is wooded then you would need to clear a spot to bury them or bury them in place. If you bury them in place and don't plan on doing anything with that section of land that's fine but it'll take years for them to break down. If you decide to do anything with that land before they do you now have to deal with them a second time. If you want to farm it you need to get them more than a foot below the surface. If you want to build on it then you have to remove them or risk that the ground could settle. If you've got a good place to put them, I have a swampy area that is now full of stumps, then then pulling them and forgetting about them is viable option. I've seen several signs saying "stump dump" around here.

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #34  
Termites and other bugs can't breathe water. Buried deep they stay wet and are cut off from oxygen they don't rot.

But for removing them go big or go home.

https://youtu.be/hHXK2t50S-8

I have to agree with this, just used the 550 dozer yesterday on a ground level cut pine stump that was cut in 2008 and it took at least 30 minutes of blade and ripper use to finally break the root structure apart enough to get all of it out of the ground.
Those roots were very , very, strong and heavy (wet)? I have removed other pines cut far more recently with in 50 feet of the one listed above and the root structure was almost falling apart and easily removed??

Wish they would all rot and be easily removed but some of these pines have been a a real bear. just my :2cents:

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #35  
larger trackhoe will be the fastest

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #36  
In my case I did not bury the stumps. I removed what I could of the above ground portion then a neighbor disc harrowed the ground to level it some. My depressions formed from the left behind root systems rotting out so I assumed a whole stump under ground would just leave a bigger hole. I had one area developed a hole you could lose a VW in. I was told by several folks to expect these depressions to form everywhere a tree stump was removed and it held true to form.

Didn't mean to get somebody all but hurt.

If a stump becomes lighter and full of sap it will be easier to burn it out.

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #37  
In my case I did not bury the stumps. I removed what I could of the above ground portion then a neighbor disc harrowed the ground to level it some. My depressions formed from the left behind root systems rotting out so I assumed a whole stump under ground would just leave a bigger hole. I had one area developed a hole you could lose a VW in. I was told by several folks to expect these depressions to form everywhere a tree stump was removed and it held true to form.

Didn't mean to get somebody all but hurt.

If a stump becomes lighter and full of sap it will be easier to burn it out.

No discomfort here friend my experience is the same. Wood exposed to oxygen and critters (insects and microbes) nature takes its course and recycles it. Buried BELOW water line - that is critical- then it is preserved and doesn't break down.

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #38  
Well, my next stump removal will be re-buried in its hole, roots up and trimmed with a saws-all,
probably 2 feet or so below grade.:)

/ Looking for advice on stump removal #39  
I had an acre of mature pine, which had been harvested, leaving about sixty stumps. Hired a big excavator and a D6 dozer. land levelled, stumps all gone, cost me a thou...and I got in a day's fishing.
Never even moved my tractor. The pine logs went to a neighbor with a sawmill who built himself a garage...and he had kindling for about ten years out of the slabs. While fishing, I met a nice lady who really had the bait, and knew how to bait her hook... But they weren't up to biting for her, so she got skunked.:rolleyes: