Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #1  

Eagle223usa

Bronze Member
Tractor
790 John Deere/ Case 580 CK diesel.
It's my first real big piece of equipment. I use it in an agricultural setting. I believe it has 14.9 X 24's (IIRC) on it now which is bigger than the original tire size. Armstrong on one side Firestone on the other, both baby butt smooth. I've been told that different manufacturers sizes are different diameters, they are almost touching my downriggers now and they are bald. I'm thinking I want AG tires. Any wisdom? Thanks.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #2  
Ag tires would work fine, but if the current tires are close to your outriggers, you will need to check tire diameter.
Most early Case backhoes had 16.9x24 tires, but I guess 14.9x24s are possible

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #3  
Looking at old data, the early ones came with 14.9x24 and eventually 16.8x24. I don't know about the rim size and off sets. However, looking at pictures on the internet, the outriggers do sit close to the tires. Remember, the CK was an industrial tractor and the backhoe was an added option. The Case 580B was the first tractor designed as a backhoe. As for AG versus Industrial, I would go with the industrial as they tend to be higher ply rating. The backhoe weighs a lot.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #4  
On our backhoe/loader I prefer the industrial tread in as wide as will fit my rims & has clearance to the fenders and outriggers. I wouldn't use Ag tires on a TLB. Around here Titan brand tires are popular & is what we use - but all the name brands make a good heavy industrial tire.
Take a look at your rims. Your's a pretty old and you don't want the hassle of a slow leak. Some places will scrape and paint the rims and that's worth doing.

How are the fronts? Fronts get ignored a lot but they aren't expensive and sure is nice to have new ones for a softer safer ride.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK.
Ag tires would work fine, but if the current tires are close to your outriggers, you will need to check tire diameter.
Most early Case backhoes had 16.9x24 tires, but I guess 14.9x24s are possible
That's why I listed the manufacturers names, from talking to the locals all tire brands are different. They say one thing on the sidewall, the tape measure says otherwise. My neighbor has a backhoe that he just put tires on, now he can't get to his battery door without removing a rear tire! I'd like to avoid that. I don't know anywhere around here that stocks big tires so they would have to be ordered. Thanks for the reply.

Looking at old data, the early ones came with 14.9x24 and eventually 16.8x24. I don't know about the rim size and off sets. However, looking at pictures on the internet, the outriggers do sit close to the tires. Remember, the CK was an industrial tractor and the backhoe was an added option. The Case 580B was the first tractor designed as a backhoe. As for AG versus Industrial, I would go with the industrial as they tend to be higher ply rating. The backhoe weighs a lot.
Oh she's an early one alright, 1967! She is supposed to weigh in at around 9k. The bald tires on it now appear to be AG tires. The fit would be much tighter if they had lugs still on them! Thanks for the wisdom.

On our backhoe/loader I prefer the industrial tread in as wide as will fit my rims & has clearance to the fenders and outriggers. I wouldn't use Ag tires on a TLB. Around here Titan brand tires are popular & is what we use - but all the name brands make a good heavy industrial tire.
Take a look at your rims. Your's a pretty old and you don't want the hassle of a slow leak. Some places will scrape and paint the rims and that's worth doing.

How are the fronts? Fronts get ignored a lot but they aren't expensive and sure is nice to have new ones for a softer safer ride.
I'm about two miles from a paved road! I actually don't even have a trailer big enough to haul it. The idea was that it would live on the farm, there's always something that needs dug up or moved. And yes, she is old. The rims really could use cleaned up and the front tires are trash too. I would like to go wider on the front. Thanks for the reply.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #8  
For little equipment like your backhoe - or ours - (16,000 lbs) the normal thing is to lift it up with the outriggers, take off the rear tires often needs an air wrench, use the backhoe to lift them into a trailer, and take them to the industrial/Ag tire shop.

Many rural areas have some sort of mobile tire service. And a lot of commercial equipment is too big to haul.
I'm about 50 miles from the guys I use. So I have to pay for their time to drive the mobile service truck if I don't take my tires in. It has all the equipment necessary to handle big tires. Costs me a few hundred dollars for a service call, though I haven't done one recently.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #9  
I'm about two miles from a paved road! I actually don't even have a trailer big enough to haul it. The idea was that it would live on the farm, there's always something that needs dug up or moved. And yes, she is old. The rims really could use cleaned up and the front tires are trash too. I would like to go wider on the front. Thanks for the reply.
I have R1s on my 550 Ford and use it on the ranch a lot. The traction pays off when I need the extra push especially in the DG/sandy conditions I have to use it in. Occasionally I road it, but not enough to warrant a flatter tread. Mind you, it takes a lot more torque.

/ Looking for tire advice. Case 580 CK. #10  
That's why I listed the manufacturers names, from talking to the locals all tire brands are different. They say one thing on the sidewall, the tape measure says otherwise. My neighbor has a backhoe that he just put tires on, now he can't get to his battery door without removing a rear tire! I'd like to avoid that. I don't know anywhere around here that stocks big tires so they would have to be ordered. Thanks for the reply.

The outer size of tires can be different even though the tires on the sidewall are the same. The numbers on the sidewalls are the wheel rim bead diameter that the tire fits onto and bead width of the wheel that the tire shoud be mounted on. The tire itself has specs for overall size - but they are in the manufacturer's data rather than on the tire. You can find all that online.
rScotty