LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #1  

LS MT468

Tractor
LS MT 468
I was pushing snow in -25 degree weather with 25 mph winds and it started blowing the oil dipstick out. It would build up pressure and blow it out every 3 to 4 minutes. It runs fine like nothing is wrong. It has only 24 hours on the tractor.

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #2  
With only 24 hrs on the engine, I would look at the vent tubing from the crankcase... That should maintain the correct pressure in it . The extreme cold could have it frozen shut.. the vent tubing could be clogged from frozen moisture or snow you're pushing...

-25 degree weather caused unusual things to happen..

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out
With only 24 hrs on the engine, I would look at the vent tubing from the crankcase... That should maintain the correct pressure in it . The extreme cold could have it frozen shut.. the vent tubing could be clogged from frozen moisture or snow you're pushing...

-25 degree weather caused unusual things to happen..
Thanks I am hoping it is something simple like that because it wasn't doing it while I was pushing snow at home but when I drove it down the road 3 miles to clean my nephews drive it started doing it.

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #4  
Frozen blow off valve? Or plugged/frozen crankcase breather? How warm is the engine? Normally, I'd suspect rings, but not at 24 hours. What viscosity oil are you running? May need 5-40 instead of 15-40 to flow in that cold & seal the cylinders?

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #5  
My MT573 did this at 8 hours on the clock. Lost the dipstick in the snow.
That day was moving drifted snow with the bucket in 30 deg F temps. No wind.

Took over a month to get a replacement dipstick. Hope to find lost dipstick this spring
IMG_0401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
   / LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #6  
Note to self: Add a Tether String to Dipstick!

/ LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #7  
I was pushing snow in -25 degree weather with 25 mph winds and it started blowing the oil dipstick out. It would build up pressure and blow it out every 3 to 4 minutes. It runs fine like nothing is wrong. It has only 24 hours on the tractor.
the PCV system runs to a catch can on top on engine and freezing. delet it now

• Good Post
Reactions: G31
   / LS MT 468 blowing oil dipstick out #8  
If your problem is still a mystery add this to the diagnostic list. Be sure your bolt on hydraulic pump for loader, etc isn't blowing by front shaft seal and "inflating" your crank case....Have seen it more than once.