LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #11  
I'd go to another dealer and ask them to look at it. I think your current dealer is inept and is lying to you. No way that LS is going to accept that 2 hour regen are normal. They are not.

Also, contact LS yourself. There is a contact page on LSUSA website. You may also reach out to them on the various social media sites they belong.

Last edited:
   / LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #13  
There's a very large spread between the longest and shortest. Operation would dictate some of that. More alarming is in one case it only ran an hour?

Because of this I'm wondering if it completes Regen before it gets the DPF clean? Is there a way to check on soot % between Regens?? So, after a Regen can you check the cleanliness of the DPF?

I only run one DEF machine. I've not tracked it's Regen. But I'd guess around 30 hrs.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
the only way I know of to check the soot load within the DPF would be through the dealership diagnostic computer.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #15  
the only way I know of to check the soot load within the DPF would be through the dealership diagnostic computer.
I wasn't sure about your tractor.

The machine I run has the ability to check the soot level at any time.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #16  
I'd have the dealer check the injection/pump timing. It may not be advanced/advancing enough. Short operating sessions (I do that a lot) or a stuck thermostat (I've had two stuck open) may lead to wet-stacking in an older machine and frequent regens in a DPF one.

Any of these can lead to a loss of power too, which may not be easily noticeable. (esp hydraulics, FEL, etc) I'd watch the temp gauge to be sure its running hot enough for long enough.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #17  
So it appears that after the 100 hour mark something changed.

Two things, first I would check EGR operation. Too much EGR can clog a DPF. Second would be an injector leak down test. Since you are smelling a slight smell and increased regens I would lean more in this direction.

Both of these cause excess soot.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
is there a way to half step this, and initially see if the dealer can confirm there is excess soot, and then find the root cause?
Is there a way for them to simply check for/confirm excess soot, or is is just implied at this point?

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #19  
They all make soot, some more than others, some less, but the 'magic box' brought to you by the EPA, makes it all vanish...for a while at least.

IMO, the whole T4 thing is a big crock of poop. I will NEVER own a T4 final diesel in ANYTHING. The powerstroke diesel in my Ford pickup truck got the iron pipe treatment before I eliminated it entirely. Truck runs light years better. gets better fuel mileage too.

Keep that air cleaner element clean too. Dirty air filters cause a diesel to make more soot. More soot that the magic box has to make vanish. Viscous circle....