LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #71  
Late to the party here… curious what was going on in the first 100 hours that was different — there was no regen?

Throwing out a few ideas…

Does the system read the differential pressure across the DPF to sense soot load to start a regen? Is there something that can trick the unit into thinking it needs to regen?

What about other electronic gremlins, like a short, bad sensor, etc? Are wiring diagrams available to see all the ways that could trigger a cycle?

Hope you get it sorted out soon!

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #72  
I find it hard to believe that LS would say regen every 2 hrs is normal. I believe the MT240E tractor has one of the new LS engines which is supposed to regen at 50 hr intervals. I haven't read all the posts but did this statement come from the dealer or LS directly? If dealer then its time to find a new dealer with better trained diagnostic people.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #73  
I find it hard to believe that LS would say regen every 2 hrs is normal. I believe the MT240E tractor has one of the new LS engines which is supposed to regen at 50 hr intervals. I haven't read all the posts but did this statement come from the dealer or LS directly? If dealer then its time to find a new dealer with better trained diagnostic people.
The first time I ran into this type of response from a manufacturer was in regards to engine oil consumption. It was a Construction machine. I was told by JD that anything less than 1 gallon of oil for each 8 hours of operation was acceptable..... A gallon of oil for every 250 hours of operation is more what I consider acceptable. The current machine I run, with 1,000hrs on the clock, uses a quart in 250 hours of operation.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #74  
That is part of my thought process, print it out, send them a link, consolidate just ideas, etc.

Dealer installed the 3rd function at purchase, and I went with the Homestead Implements 60" root grapple, no complaints.
The W.R.long 3rd function kit comes with all the necessary hoses and brackets to get the connections onto the FEL, and the grapple comes with 3' hoses to connect right up to the manifold connectors on the FEL from the 3rd Function kit, nothing additional needed.
Niiice thanks for the info - which W.R. Long kit did you get?? I looked and now confused. My tractor already has the 3rd function installed from the factory so I have a lever in the cab already. All I need is hoses. Be real nice if that was inna kit??

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
I find it hard to believe that LS would say regen every 2 hrs is normal. I believe the MT240E tractor has one of the new LS engines which is supposed to regen at 50 hr intervals. I haven't read all the posts but did this statement come from the dealer or LS directly?
As noted above: They (Dealership) called me yesterday after hearing back from LS and informed me that LS’ stance is that regeneration every 2 hours is normal.
Niiice thanks for the info - which W.R. Long kit did you get?? I looked and now confused. My tractor already has the 3rd function installed from the factory so I have a lever in the cab already. All I need is hoses. Be real nice if that was inna kit??
I called W.R. long back at the time of purchase, they said it was the only kit available for the MT240. Give them a call, they might be able to get you the hoses you need. It was pre-pandemic, but they actually answered the phone and were knowledgeable W.R. Long, Inc. | Contact

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #76  
The warranty on emissions is mandated by the federal government and regulated by the EPA.

Your machine should be under warranty and if the builder is refusing to repair it they are in violation of federal rules and as such are subject to enforcement actions. At the very least I would contact the EPA and find out what the builder is required to do and what, if any, actions the agency would take against a non-compliant manufacturer.

Here is the contact info for the southeast region: Contacting EPA Region 4 (Southeast) | US EPA

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #77  
The warranty on emissions is mandated by the federal government and regulated by the EPA.

Your machine should be under warranty and if the builder is refusing to repair it they are in violation of federal rules and as such are subject to enforcement actions. At the very least I would contact the EPA and find out what the builder is required to do and what, if any, actions the agency would take against a non-compliant manufacturer.

Here is the contact info for the southeast region: Contacting EPA Region 4 (Southeast) | US EPA
Your advice would be good, except for one problem. Whether the dealer/manuf claims regens every 100 hrs, or every 50 hrs, or even every hour, as long as regen is working, and keeps exhaust emissions under control, the EPA will not get involved.

By manufacturer saying every 2 hours is normal for that tractor, I don't see where anyone is going to be forced to actually find the problem for him.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #78  
LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

Here's my regen history, the best I have record of it. I'm sure I missed a few early on before I recognized there was a real problem and started keeping track. I have been having excessive regens almost since the tractor was purchased.

Dealership has been great at getting the tractor in for service and trying a few things, but unfortunately the problem has not been resolved. They called me yesterday after hearing back from LS and informed me that LS’ stance is that regeneration every 2 hours is normal. If regeneration is occurring more frequently than 2 hours apart, there could be an issue.

I find that unacceptable.
I use the tractor at home, it is not a business machine, but based on an 8 hour work day, what should be a normal regen cycle of around 50 hours, would give me 6+ days between regens, and LS is telling me that 4 times per day is normal!

First some qualifying information.

• Tractor is run consistently between 1800 and 2400 RPM
  • Always used on road diesel filled from high turnover stations in 5 gallon cans, I fill 2 or 3 cans, 10-15 gallons at a time, so there has been a lot of fuel turnover, not the same, or old fuel being used. Tried with and without fuel additive (Power Kleen or Howes) no change. At one point LS blamed fuel quality, but refused to test the fuel in the tank to prove it.
  • DPF switch left in regeneration mode, I have never inhibited regeneration.

Occasionally before a regen, the DPF regeneration indicator will blink on/off at 1 sec intervals indicating a >120% soot load, then soon after it will go through a normal regen cycle without me needing to initiate it via the DPF switch. I have not kept a detailed record of when the indicator flashes before a regen, but I have noticed it several times (and I’m sure I missed it blinking a few times too.) Normally it seems to go right into regen mode (solid light) indicating 100% soot load, not >120%, but not always.

I’ve also had a few regens complete and then within 5 minutes the tractor goes into limp mode which a restart clears. That has happened maybe 3 times or so. I don’t recall what was displayed on the instrument panel other than the red ! (Vehicle control error warning indicator.)

Another thing I have noticed more recently, this may be indicative or not; I have noticed a much more pronounced diesel odor in the exhaust than in the past. While nothing like my previous non tier IV motor which was sooty, the MT240 used to burn extremely clean with no noticeable exhaust odor, now there is a diesel exhaust smell, not horrible, but definitely noticeable. Maybe now because it has 300 hours that is to be expected. There is no visible soot or black smoke, just a diesel odor that was not there previously. I may also hear injector or valve chatter that is louder then before as well.

Additionally there were a couple regens run at the dealership during troubleshooting and maintenance which I don't have listed below.

Regen time on hour meter, all regens completed successfully after ~15 minutes:

4 (ran by dealer due to error code, day after I brought it home)
115 (Dealership replaced DPF Sensor, removed and cleaned DPF)
254 (Dealership replaced ECU and DPF sensor. Invoice notes “REGEN OCCURRING TO OFTEN WITH NO SOOT LOAD”)
259 (In Dealership for service, ran diagnostic, nothing significant noted)

I'm looking for advice on how to move forward. First I need to be able to get the dealer to move forward since LS who is paying for the warranty work says this is NORMAL OPERATION.

Next I see 2 different paths.
  1. DPF System has a fault
  2. DPF system working normally, tractor producing too much soot
Comments?
Try Max Mileage additive. Newer class 8 trucks (semis) with all the DEF & DPF EPA bullshit do very well on really reducing regens. It is $250 per gallon in the gallon jug, but you only use once per 25 gallons, which treat 1,300 gallons per jug. It is a catalyst which promotes fuller fuel burn reducing soot (which is unburnt fuel). I use it in my 1999 Western Star which is EPA free, but it keeps my injectors and exhaust components very clean. I figure it adds about 7 cents per gallon to my fuel cost, but reduces my maintenance cost, all the while improving my fuel economy. Worth a try perhaps.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #79  
Lighten up. Life is too short not to have a few 'Punch' posts. You do know who Punch was right?
Punch is very well known. He makes some great cigars!

Last edited:
   / LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #80  
Your advice would be good, except for one problem. Whether the dealer/manuf claims regens every 100 hrs, or every 50 hrs, or even every hour, as long as regen is working, and keeps exhaust emissions under control, the EPA will not get involved.

By manufacturer saying every 2 hours is normal for that tractor, I don't see where anyone is going to be forced to actually find the problem for him.
This the old "if it quacks like a duck.."

Any reasonable person knows this is not working properly and for the manufacturer to say it is is just BS. If it is regenning too frequently it is not working correctly and I can guarantee that it did not pass any acceptance test under those conditions since it will lead to premature failure of the system.

I don't get why so many responders are looking for mechanical problems when the real problem is the manufacturer's lack of accountability for the problem. Trying to diagnose a complex problem like this without having access to the machine is just guessing.