LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #131  
Sorry for the thread hijack! Was very interested in a way to minimize regens. I was also under the impression one had to stop work to do the regen so it is nice to know that you can continue along while it does its thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about that the thread was already hijacked when posters started comparing older LS regens to newer models. Two completely different regen systems used.

I cannot agree with all the advice given to you as a lot of "I was told" statements don't match reality or the technical manual. Use your tractor and let the ECM manage the rest.

Here is a good OEM video explaining regens. Remember engine load will equate to higher exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and passive regens can happen.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #133  
Talk with the dealer and check the owners manual, again, is great advice. That is an interesting video. I tend to rely on information from my dealer.
However, that said, below is a direct quote from my Kubota's operation manual relating the dpf filter. But it is not JD or LS, which may differ. This is from page 20 under the "operating the engine" section.

B Tips on Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration A Operation
The higher in speed or load the engine operates, the higher the exhaust temperature rises. As a result, particulate matter (PM) inside the DPF is consumed, therefore the regeneration process is required less frequently over time. The lower in speed or load the engine operates, the lower the exhaust temperature. Accordingly, less particulate matter (PM) inside the DPF is consumed, therefore more accumulation of PM will occur, which requires frequent regeneration, therefore avoid prolonged idling if possible

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #135  
I wouldn't worry too much about that the thread was already hijacked when posters started comparing older LS regens to newer models. Two completely different regen systems used.

I cannot agree with all the advice given to you as a lot of "I was told" statements don't match reality or the technical manual. Use your tractor and let the ECM manage the rest.

Here is a good OEM video explaining regens. Remember engine load will equate to higher exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and passive regens can happen.

Very interesting video, thanks

I think that puts into context some of the other info I have come across. Thanks for posting

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #136  
LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

Here's my regen history, the best I have record of it. I'm sure I missed a few early on before I recognized there was a real problem and started keeping track. I have been having excessive regens almost since the tractor was purchased.

Dealership has been great at getting the tractor in for service and trying a few things, but unfortunately the problem has not been resolved. They called me yesterday after hearing back from LS and informed me that LS’ stance is that regeneration every 2 hours is normal. If regeneration is occurring more frequently than 2 hours apart, there could be an issue.

I find that unacceptable.
I use the tractor at home, it is not a business machine, but based on an 8 hour work day, what should be a normal regen cycle of around 50 hours, would give me 6+ days between regens, and LS is telling me that 4 times per day is normal!

First some qualifying information.

• Tractor is run consistently between 1800 and 2400 RPM
  • Always used on road diesel filled from high turnover stations in 5 gallon cans, I fill 2 or 3 cans, 10-15 gallons at a time, so there has been a lot of fuel turnover, not the same, or old fuel being used. Tried with and without fuel additive (Power Kleen or Howes) no change. At one point LS blamed fuel quality, but refused to test the fuel in the tank to prove it.
  • DPF switch left in regeneration mode, I have never inhibited regeneration.

Occasionally before a regen, the DPF regeneration indicator will blink on/off at 1 sec intervals indicating a >120% soot load, then soon after it will go through a normal regen cycle without me needing to initiate it via the DPF switch. I have not kept a detailed record of when the indicator flashes before a regen, but I have noticed it several times (and I’m sure I missed it blinking a few times too.) Normally it seems to go right into regen mode (solid light) indicating 100% soot load, not >120%, but not always.

I’ve also had a few regens complete and then within 5 minutes the tractor goes into limp mode which a restart clears. That has happened maybe 3 times or so. I don’t recall what was displayed on the instrument panel other than the red ! (Vehicle control error warning indicator.)

Another thing I have noticed more recently, this may be indicative or not; I have noticed a much more pronounced diesel odor in the exhaust than in the past. While nothing like my previous non tier IV motor which was sooty, the MT240 used to burn extremely clean with no noticeable exhaust odor, now there is a diesel exhaust smell, not horrible, but definitely noticeable. Maybe now because it has 300 hours that is to be expected. There is no visible soot or black smoke, just a diesel odor that was not there previously. I may also hear injector or valve chatter that is louder then before as well.

Additionally there were a couple regens run at the dealership during troubleshooting and maintenance which I don't have listed below.

Regen time on hour meter, all regens completed successfully after ~15 minutes:

4 (ran by dealer due to error code, day after I brought it home)
115 (Dealership replaced DPF Sensor, removed and cleaned DPF)
254 (Dealership replaced ECU and DPF sensor. Invoice notes “REGEN OCCURRING TO OFTEN WITH NO SOOT LOAD”)
259 (In Dealership for service, ran diagnostic, nothing significant noted)

I'm looking for advice on how to move forward. First I need to be able to get the dealer to move forward since LS who is paying for the warranty work says this is NORMAL OPERATION.

Next I see 2 different paths.
  1. DPF System has a fault
  2. DPF system working normally, tractor producing too much soot
Comments?
I have the same issue with my Kubota and trying to find a solution. Running at higher RPMs seems to be helping, but still it's a real issue which many don't think is a concern..

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #138  
I have the same issue with my Kubota and trying to find a solution. Running at higher RPMs seems to be helping, but still it's a real issue which many don't think is a concern..
If your having frequent short-period regens on a Kubota, and your running at high rpm, I recommend considering that one of your fuel injectors is providing excessive fuel. Kubota service can check with a laptop the condition of all your injectors...and provide you with a printout.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #139  
I have an ongoing problem with the dpf and tractor going into manual regen mode every 2 hours which means I have to park it. Dealership has replaced injectors, not fixed, replaced turbo, not fixed, replaced dpf, not fixed, rebuilt engine, not fixed, reprogrammed computer, not fixed, replaced turbo again, not fixed. I would have someone reprogram your computer and delete the dpf. These tractors are garbage with it on. Do what you will with this advice but it will save you loads of frustration, stress and money.