LS XR4040 Shuts Down

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #11  
You have the ECM reading a critical error, hence the RED error. It would prudent to read the error code from either dash (will not identify the exact code but point in the right direction) or via a scan tool. Everything else is just a WAG.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #12  
I’m also wondering if possibly the PTO switch is defective or accidentally got moved to the on position, I’m pretty sure that will cause the red light and no start situation. Similar thing happened to a very mechanically inclined friend so he turned the PTO switch on and off a bunch of times but still no start, called dealer out and when dealer attempted to start tractor it started instantly, no charge and dealer said if it happens again he will replace the PTO switch under warranty, that was a couple years ago and so far it has never happened again.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down
Just an update - I intend to have it scanned but getting it to a dealership isn't easy so I was hoping to see if anyone else had an issue here. I used it to clean up a lot and never had another issue. (After I cleaned out the air filter) I then hooked up the brush hog and did some mowing of some pasture ground....about 2-3 acres. I was about 90% done and it shut itself down again. No warning, PTO engaged, while moving. Just dead stop and flashes the warning light. The temp guage was normal the entire time. I cleaned out the prescreen in front of the radiator, knocked the dust out of the air filter, and found some debris inside the air filter canister that I had missed previously. Tractor started right back up and I finished mowing. I'm not saying it's ideal, but wanted to share what worked for me in case someone else experiences the issue. I'll report back when the code is run.

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down
Hey all, I just wanted to come back and update. I tried a number of things - new fuel, new air filter, remove water from fuel thumb screw (did not appear to be anything but diesel) and I even replaced the fuel lifter pump (the ticker pump you hear before ignition.) After all of it, still would run and then die, seemingly at random. So I broke down and took it in. Just got the call - ECU needs to be replaced. I know I am not the only one who has had to replace this, but $3000 to fix after 400 hours seems like a costly repair for what I've gotten out of it. Worse, I'm not be assured it will not happen again. Has anyone else replaced their ECU? What was your experience? Has anyone had to do it twice?

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #15  
Beer_hunter: Check it out brother The fuel cutoff solenoid which is located on the left side of the injector pump. It has 2 harnesses coming off of it. The 2 wire connector is for the actual cutoff switch and the 3 wire connector is for what is called a pressure sensor according to the Japanese website, which is a safety mechanism of the tractor. The dealership won't sell you the cheap sensor because it is recessed about a 1/4" into the OEM cutoff valve. That little sensor isn't held by and LS dealer including the mfg. I've been on the hunt myself to avoid the $1100 dollar charge for a OEM replacement. Screw it bypass the pressure sensor that's doing it and keep on keeping on. Maybe that'll help you out some. Good luck brother. 🤜🏻

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #16  
Yo, airboene696867 - nice post, thank you very much!

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #17  
I wonder how long I'm gonna be a new member... until I post 2k times? ; - ))

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #18  
I wonder how long I'm gonna be a new member... until I post 2k times? ; - ))
Member Title - Number of Posts
New Member - 0
Member - 25
Bronze Member - 50
Silver Member - 100
Gold Member - 250
Platinum Member - 500 (also gives you access to the private Front Porch community forum)
Veteran Member - 1000
Elite Member - 2500
Super Member - 5000
Super Star Member - 10000
Epic Contributor - 20000
Old Timer - 50000

/ LS XR4040 Shuts Down #19  
boy that old timer is older than dirt ... 😁 😁 :):):)