Luckey day or not?

/ Luckey day or not? #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I Purchased a Echo 500vl saw new in 1980. That makes it 30 years old. Only maintaince has been chains, bars, and recoil rope. Never needed any repair. I was just browsing the webb and found out that they had a recall on them in the 80's. I never received any thing in the mail. I guess that if you take the flywheel off to replace the points or check it out there is a chance you will damage the flywheel and it could explode. Some people have lost fingers I guess. I called Echo to see if mine was one of the recalled ones. It is. They said take to nearest authorized dealer and he will send it in and they will send me a BRAND NEW SAW. If the new one lasts 30 years, I will be long gone and my son will be 70. (he is a die hard Stihl fan) (I'll leave him a good saw) So pass this information on to any one to any one you know, who owns a 500VL Echo. I am going to start watching flea marketsl, etc. Maybe I can pick up one for $30 or $40 and if it is the right one, get a new one. I am just very thankful I have all my fingers.

/ Luckey day or not? #2  
good deal. but stihl's are good saws too.:thumbsup:

/ Luckey day or not? #3  
yeah **** of a good deal mate. congratz. if you find another let me know.

Last edited:
   / Luckey day or not? #4  
Very interesting, John.

I used to own an old Echo; it was my first good chainsaw, a
Kioritz-Echo 451VL. Very similar to yours. Lots of power and
a thick-kerf blade. Almost no plastic parts.

My chain oiler never worked, even after I rebuilt the whole saw,
so I sold it. It was very easy to sell, despite the problem it had.

I notice the recall you mention is on the Consumer Product Safety
Commission website, but not the Echo website. Hmmm.

Attachments

• echo_1.jpg
    echo_1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,522
   / Luckey day or not?
Well my luck went south. I had called Echo and they said my saw was one of the recalled. I took it to a Echo dealer and they said they would send it in. Showed me the saw I would get after they were issued credit. I didnt really like what they showed me as well as the 500vl. It has been a really good saw. They called me in a couple of days and said that there had been a mix up and my saw was not one of the recalled ones. I was sort of glad. I have had old faithful for 30 years. My son is a die hard Sthil fan and kept kidding me about getting a Sthil. I ran on to a 028 at a flea market at a good price and got it. Some things I like better that the Echo and somes I dont.