M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #21  
The inherent issue with any EGR system (especially on a diesel engine) not so much on a gas engine is..

When you put exhaust gas from a diesel into the intake runner of a diesel engine, it crystalizes and attaches itself to the intake runner' walls and in the intake ports and the backside of the valves themselves and forms a hard coating that resembles black icecream that has frosted from age.

Detroit Diesel (DDEC) found that out the hard and costly way as they had to replace and rebuild countless engines and replace clogged intake runners, because the emissions sensors in the runners failed because of the carbon buildup and caused the engines to self destruct.

Gas engines will 'coke' up as well if they are GDI engines with no pilot jets in the intakes to keep the intake tract misted with gasoline.

Interestingly, I can hear the turbo's on both my M9's spool up and it's always a sweet sound, but then I'm not wastegated at all either. Only thing my engines have is a 'puff limiter' similar to what Vo Mack used and mine is defeated by my own hand. Whatever the hairdryer can make, it's all going through the air to air unit and into the intake runner. In fact, if you throttle up either of mine with the hoods open and observe the intake piping from the ATA unit back, as you throttle the engine up, you can observe the rubber intake runners expanding from the boost pressure.

If you ever have the chance to pop the hood on a Mack, take a look at the turbo housing. Plainly cast into the housing are the words 'This is a muffling device'. ...and it is. The turbo breaks up the sound waves from combustion, they all do but Mack states it right on the outer housing.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #22  
It's a system designed by legislation over common sense.
rScotty
Most everything designed by some book head and applied to practical use, usually never meets up to it's proposed use anyway. Why this T 4 final junk is just that. It's a joke on a consumer, perpetrated by a book smart, practical dumb, joe college clown with a degree in engineering but no experience.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance
Most everything designed by some book head and applied to practical use, usually never meets up to it's proposed use anyway. Why this T 4 final junk is just that. It's a joke on a consumer, perpetrated by a book smart, practical dumb, joe college clown with a degree in engineering but no experience.

Yes... I agree this offroad diesel T4 emissions junk is just that. Junk.

But just because the solutions so far have been short-sighted, or flat wrong, or some combination of politically corrupt and engineering stupid doesn't mean that we get to give up the fight. The basic problem we have to solve is too big and too serious to just go away on its own. It's one we either solve together or it overwhelms us altogether.
rScotty

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #24  
Not gonna concern myself with it, in as much as both my pure mechanical Kubota's will outlast me and I'm sure my wife will get a good buck for them too. They are carefully maintained and never abused. Still have both mufflers tucked away in the shop, just in case.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #25  
I hear a slight tone of deleting the EGR.

Keep your fingers away!

It's not that I'm a tree hugger, it's to protect your assets.

The EGR is used to reduce the combustion temperature, as a result reducing NOX levels. As Scotty stated, it increases the soot level and reduces power output at the same time.

Most people just weld the connection tubes up and leave everything else the way it is.
And then it's just a matter of time until they have daylight in the crankcase.
If the fuel map is not rewritten at the time of deletion, it's increasing the combustion temps and is causing an internal meltdown. Some engines last longer, some don't.

I hear a slight tone of deleting the EGR.

Keep your fingers away!

It's not that I'm a tree hugger, it's to protect your assets.

The EGR is used to reduce the combustion temperature, as a result reducing NOX levels. As Scotty stated, it increases the soot level and reduces power output at the same time.

Most people just weld the connection tubes up and leave everything else the way it is.
And then it's just a matter of time until they have daylight in the crankcase.
If the fuel map is not rewritten at the time of deletion, it's increasing the combustion temps and is causing an internal meltdown. Some engines last longer, some don't.

Yes, I've heard that.....I've heard that the EGR reduces combustion temperature. But so far I've not heard any tech talk on EGR, just statements & opinion. It may be right. Or maybe not.

I'm from down by Missouri - maybe that is why I don't tend to believe in something until I understand it. For EGR and heat, I need to know how introducing a tiny bit of hot and soot-laden exhaust gas back into the intake manifold reduces combustion temperatures. And if the explanation is good enough, I'll probably want to measure it just to confirm. Sound reasonable?

BTW, Kubota's "Interim Tier IV" EGR reads more like Tier 3 1/2 than Tier IV. I could be wrong, but I don't think the EGR has fuel mapping. Looking at ours, the engine looks to have classic mechanical injection with individual lines from the fuel pump to each injector. No computer = no fuel map.

Shucks, as far as that goes I'm still wondering how saving the soot up and then burning it off all at once is any advantage to the air we breathe.
Is it just me or does that have the sound of political definition rather than science? I thought we had pretty good evidence that the smaller the particle the more chemically active it is.

rScotty

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #27  
And then it's just a matter of time until they have daylight in the crankcase
Actually, with Kubota's at least the bottom end don't puke, it's plenty robust. It's the top end that (head and valve train) that pukes. Kubota's have notoriously weak head gaskets and head castings. Good for dropping valve seats when overheated too.

Actually, with Kubota's at least the bottom end don't puke, it's plenty robust. It's the top end that (head and valve train) that pukes. Kubota's have notoriously weak head gaskets and head castings. Good for dropping valve seats when overheated too.

Clickbait.