Mahindra 3016 Cyclical Clunk Sound

/ Mahindra 3016 Cyclical Clunk Sound #1  

lagolan

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Disclaimer: I was working the tractor harder than I'm pretty sure it was designed to do. I fully admit so and will be more careful in the future.

Today I was digging some dirt (while in 4WD) and right as I was doing some very hard lifting with the bucket there was a grind/crunch sound. After that the tractor now makes a cyclical clunk sound and jerk when moving. Happens in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. The sound comes about once every revolution of the front wheels. It sounds/feels like it's coming from below right about where my feet are, but that could just be the sound transmitting through the driveline.
Troubleshooting I have done: lifted the front end off the ground and spun the wheels. The opposite side spins the other way, everything is smooth and as expected. I checked the front driveshaft, u-joints etc. look good. I checked the rims for cracks and made sure wheel bolts were torqued down. I lifted the whole tractor and put it in gear - there was no clunk, in 2wd or 4wd, and all wheels moved as expected.

Before I bring it to the dealer, is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

/ Mahindra 3016 Cyclical Clunk Sound
I think I figured it out. I stuck a scope camera in the front axle. Photo of the pinion attached. Over $1100 from Mahindra just for the parts. There goes my fun money for a while!

Attachments

• 18-09-13 193137.png
    18-09-13 193137.png
    371 KB · Views: 109
   / Mahindra 3016 Cyclical Clunk Sound #3  
You may have cracked the ring gear as well so check that too.
I did the same to mine and both gears were missing a tooth.

It is not a difficult do it urself job.

/ Mahindra 3016 Cyclical Clunk Sound
Well, after 4 weeks, I still don't have the replacement parts. They're saying Mahindra told them to expect another 4 weeks for the parts to arrive. My local dealer actually just dropped Mahindra and picked up Massey Ferguson over exactly this issue. Said some parts were on a 6+ month long backorder. Pretty frustrating.

Last edited: