Mahindra 4110 review after 16 years

/ Mahindra 4110 review after 16 years #1  

4110guy

Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I purchased my 4110 in 2005, and decided to give a long term review. Not heavy use, almost 600 hrs. 4wd w/ front end loader.

Overall happy, 16 years and it it still fires up and gets the job done.

The first problem I had was a loose connection electrical above the clutch petal. Caused difficulty starting, until it refused to start, besides the time to find it, no cost, just had to push plug back in.

The tube in the radiator overflow came loose at some point, causing coolant not to re-enter the radiator when cool, the radiator canister would fill completely.

Overheating while bush-hogging. Just recently realized can be avoided but you have to raise the hood while using. Inadequate radiator, battery obstruction and hood design.

Slow leak in the radiator, a replacement cost over a grand, so I plan to get it repaired or replace it with a larger generic one if I can find one that will fit.

Plastic fender flares almost immediately started cracking.

Dead spot in the starter, been that way for years, since a starter is over $500 decided I would live with it until it completely dies. Just have to keep hitting the ignition and it eventually complies.

Keep the fluids renewed and greased. The first parts needing replaced, Horn/light switch (kid destruction), battery, fuel line engine right side, hydraulic hose to the hydraulic filter (found a match at auto zone for $3).

Wish it had a higher 4th gear, 15mph top speed, can’t outrun the dogs! I prefer shuttle shift over hydrostatic from a cost standpoint.

Parts seem high but I chose the Mahindra over a New Holland because of all the plastic on the NH and I got 4wd and loader for the cost of a 2wd NH w/o loader.

I’m a believer, whatever you own, if you take care of it, it’ll be a good machine.

/ Mahindra 4110 review after 16 years #3  
My 4110 is a 2001 model that I bought new in Feb. 2002 - the red was already starting to turn pink on the plastic cowl. My fender flares also cracked very early on but are still there all these years later. My tractor has lived it's whole life outdoors with no cover whatsoever and I have used the crap out of it over the years and have had numerous mechanical problems that were repairable. Luckily I'm a mechanic and all it ever cost me was time & parts. It now has 3060 hrs. Mine is a TYM built and that TYM 2.0l 4 cyl. is a total workhorse - even now it does not burn nor leak a single drop of oil and starts hot or cold - still the original glow plugs and relay, on my 3rd battery. Same radiator problem as yours, dropping the battery box helped a lot but did not totally cure the clogging problem.

I'll run her 'till she drops and if I ever sell my place here I guess it will just stay with the place ...

/ Mahindra 4110 review after 16 years #4  
Have had our 4110 for way less time than ya'll, but the best thing I ever did for the overheating issue was removing the side engine guards/cowls, whatever they are. That increased the airflow around the radiator and engine significantly. That and staying on top of any radiator clogging with a radiator genie.

/ Mahindra 4110 review after 16 years #5  
I have owned an early 2001 4110 for the last seven years with 1500hrs of which 500hrs are from me. It has a FEL that I use occasionally to clear my driveway with. I use it with a 6ft grooming mower attached to the 3pt arms for my yard which it handles with ease. Like Patchfarm, I keep the side engine guards off and have no problems with overheating. The tractor is great with the exception of a very weak frame! The bolts attaching the engine to the frame have snapped several times causing it to have excessive movement. Sometimes it feels like it could break in half :(. I recently took it to a machine shop to have the broken bolts extracted and replaced with grade 8 bolts, I hope that will resolve the issue. I have had to replace the alternator and weld the exhaust to keep it from falling off. I replaced the water pump and fan last year. The power steering and front 4wd knuckle need O rings replaced. Other than that it is a solid and powerful tractor with fading paint and a cracked front grille.