Marking your tools

/ Marking your tools #1  

HawkinsHollow

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
How do you gentlemen mark your tools? Paint pen? Nail polish? I just inherited a bunch of amazing old "Made in the USA" tools from my dad and I want to make sure they don't grow legs and walk away. With wooden or plastic things I have a branding iron I use, with larger items a stencil and spray paint. I want to mark my smaller hand tools with at least a colored dot that I can recognize as mine.

/ Marking your tools #2  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I used green spray paint when a worker claimed my speed square was their speed square.

/ Marking your tools #3  

Jchonline

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
I use a metal etcher. Just 2 letters (initials). Permanent marker for chrome stuff.

Last edited:
   / Marking your tools #4  

Doofy

Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
Don't loan Tools! Problem solved.

/ Marking your tools #5  

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
A die grinder with a diamond bit. Typically just the initials for the first and last name.

For my dad, since he has about 25% of vision on the good eye, I marked bigger numbers for the size on the harder to read wrenches using the same method.

/ Marking your tools #7  

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Pink spray paint! Nobody will steal them.

/ Marking your tools #9  

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
I use Yellow Paint.... Also helps if I drop it in the grass.
I use flourescent orange on tools likely to be used in the woods, etc. for that reason.
Don't loan Tools! Problem solved.
That too! Other than a few "work parties" with our local snowmobile club, most of mine are used at home with no one else around but me. Downside is there's no one to blame it on if something walks off... :LOL:

/ Marking your tools #10  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Engravers are the devil's tool for anyone that works in the second hand markets.
Can't even count how many perfectly good laptops we could not sell cause someone had burned in, "property of XXXXXX." and then also added their social security number.

Last edited: