Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral

/ Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral #1  

shawnb2

Tractor
Massey 1652
I recently started having issues with my 1652 with DynaQPS transmission. When I engage the PTO, it runs for a few seconds, and then appears to cause the transmission to go into neutral.

If the shuttle selector is in forward or reverse while the PTO is engaged, the tractor stops moving, the red "!" light comes on, and the dash screen shows a "switch to neutral" graphic (same one that shows if you try to start the engine with forward or reverse engaged).

Also found that if I am in neutral and engage the PTO, it seems to run, but the graphic on the dash that shows the current gear switches sporadically from the current gear range (e.g. the rabbit) to "N" and then back to the gear range. There is also a bit of tractor shake, as if the PTO is momentarily disengaging and then reengaging.

Also found that happens with the implement PTO disconnected, and also happens if the PTO gear selector is in neutral.

It first happened when I was backing into some taller grass at the edge of my field with the finish mower running. I turned the PTO off, switched to neutral and then back into forward, and the tractor drives normally.

I checked underneath and don't see any loose connectors. I was also due for my first 300 hour hydro fluid service since I bought it used from a dealer (I have almost 1000 hours now), so I changed hydro fluid (Permatran) and replaced all filters (internal mesh and power steering, both new filters from MF) but am still having the issue. I also ran the DynaQPS calibration routine from the service manual but that did not help.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Shawn

/ Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral #2  
I recently started having issues with my 1652 with DynaQPS transmission. When I engage the PTO, it runs for a few seconds, and then appears to cause the transmission to go into neutral.

If the shuttle selector is in forward or reverse while the PTO is engaged, the tractor stops moving, the red "!" light comes on, and the dash screen shows a "switch to neutral" graphic (same one that shows if you try to start the engine with forward or reverse engaged).

Also found that if I am in neutral and engage the PTO, it seems to run, but the graphic on the dash that shows the current gear switches sporadically from the current gear range (e.g. the rabbit) to "N" and then back to the gear range. There is also a bit of tractor shake, as if the PTO is momentarily disengaging and then reengaging.

Also found that happens with the implement PTO disconnected, and also happens if the PTO gear selector is in neutral.

It first happened when I was backing into some taller grass at the edge of my field with the finish mower running. I turned the PTO off, switched to neutral and then back into forward, and the tractor drives normally.

I checked underneath and don't see any loose connectors. I was also due for my first 300 hour hydro fluid service since I bought it used from a dealer (I have almost 1000 hours now), so I changed hydro fluid (Permatran) and replaced all filters (internal mesh and power steering, both new filters from MF) but am still having the issue. I also ran the DynaQPS calibration routine from the service manual but that did not help.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Shawn
Maybe a new PTO switch. Sounds like a combo of the safety circuit feature and PTO on/off function.

Do you have a fender mounted PTO switch?

/ Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral
Maybe a new PTO switch. Sounds like a combo of the safety circuit feature and PTO on/off function.

Do you have a fender mounted PTO switch?

Hi Jimmy, I have the 1652 cab model, and just have the PTO switch on the dash. It's the same issue whether the "soft start" switch is enabled for the PTO or not.

Thanks,
Shawn

/ Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral #4  
Hi Jimmy, I have the 1652 cab model, and just have the PTO switch on the dash. It's the same issue whether the "soft start" switch is enabled for the PTO or not.

Thanks,
Shawn
Some of the later 1600 series got a little yellow button on the LH fender. That little button allows you to run stationary PTO equipment without a butt in the seat.

Use as follows:

Idle the engine down
Neutral all gears(for your safety)
Engage the parking brake
Hold the fender button for about 10 seconds
The PTO should spin, idle your engine up to desired speed.

I think you have a safety interlock issue. Maybe even the seat switch or shuttle selector safety switch.

Maybe try holding the parking brake lever (without holding the brakes[just to make the light come on on the dash]) while trying the PTO and see if this makes any difference. Just an idea.

I hope you don't need a new controller. I'm not familiar with Dyna transmissions. Your problem description sounds electrical related in my opinion.

Rare occurrence you have trash in the reducing valve.

Thanks Jimmy, I'll check the seat switch and the brake switch.

Digging through the service manual and parts book, it looks like the control valves for both PTO and shuttle shift are in the same hydro subassembly... so may be either an electrical issue there, or trash somewhere so there isn't enough pressure to keep both engaged consistently.

I have limited experience and the Massey/Iseki service manual is pretty horrible, so may have to let the dealer come get it to take a look.

I hope you don't need a new controller. I'm not familiar with Dyna transmissions. Your problem description sounds electrical related in my opinion.

Jimmy, thanks again for your suggestions. Just got the tractor back from the dealer, and they replaced the controller. Ouch! But hopefully will be set for another decade.

/ Massey 1652 DynaQPS - PTO causing transmission to switch to Neutral #7  
Shawnb2,
My 1660 is doing exactly what your 1652 was doing. What's the part number to the controller that they replaced and did it work and stay working? Ie fix the problem long term?

Attachments

• inbound3136565710425781816.jpg
    inbound3136565710425781816.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43