massey 65 water pump question

/ massey 65 water pump question #1  

pete59

Tractor
massey 65
hello I have an MF 65 gas G176 continental that needs a water pump. I have no press so punched the old one out of it's pulley with punch and hammer. Is it possible to put new shaft in freezer to cool it and cast iron pulley in oven heated to 400 degrees and then try to tap it on to shaft as it is pretty much size on size within about .0005?If it must be pressed on any info on support would much appreciated as to where to support it to eliminate any cracking.Thanks for your time

/ massey 65 water pump question #2  
Did you give that a try yet Pete? Seems like that would work. Is there a keyway on it all?

/ massey 65 water pump question
No, I have not yet received the shaft in the mail. I emery clothed the bore of the cast pulley and no there is no keyway. The bore in the pulley is 1.550, so it goes on a long ways. I will let you know how I fare.

/ massey 65 water pump question #4  
I will be curious on how it turns out. The more you can heat the pulley and freeze the shaft makes sense. I tend to get too anxious on some of those projects and cause myself more headache by not taking my time.

/ massey 65 water pump question #5  
I would expect a freezer/ 400F oven would work for .0005 interference fight. If not dry ice will get you cold enough :thumbsup:

/ massey 65 water pump question
Good news ,I had a friend offer an arbor press and help me press it on. The new shaft had .001 difference I am not sure how it would have worked although I have been told dry ice is used quite often by mechanics.That's the first time I have ever dealt with a press fit, learn something new every day. MF 65 is up and running just in time for our first snow today. Thanks for your input, life is good.

/ massey 65 water pump question #8  
When assembling die sets, which have ..05 interference fit we put the pins (2 in dis) in liquid nitrogen for 10 minutes and they slide right in. Plates are at room temp.