Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #1  

rdinatal

Gold Member
Tractor
Old: 2016 eMax25s HST, New: 2017 Max 26xl HST
I never used the diff lock till yesterday. It works, just press with left heel. But upon letting up it only rises 1" or so. Seems like the pedal lost a spring. I can pick it up by hand and lift it 2" but it drops right back.

Can someone check if the pedal is under spring tension? (Held up till pressed?)

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #3  
Hi rdinatal, was gonna check my eMax today but cold and snowing like crazy. Maybe tomorrow. Is the dif. lock now disengaged with the slack in the pedal? I realize yours is a 26xl but may be set up the same.

Joe

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #4  
its prolly still partially in. I absolutely think the lever sucks. you may think your in, but that one inch drop is not full in, at least not on mine, you have give good pressure and you can feel it click a touch more then its locked.

I personally find it more trouble then its worth. and there are a lot of times i could use it

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal
Hi rdinatal, was gonna check my eMax today but cold and snowing like crazy. Maybe tomorrow. Is the dif. lock now disengaged with the slack in the pedal? I realize yours is a 26xl but may be set up the same.

Joe
Thanks Joe. Being in NC I never thought 'snow' in mid April. 🤪

I used the backhoe out riggers so one wheel was up and the other was in contact with a slick rock. Normal operation without locking, stepping on the lever locked it up.

Upon release it didn't unlock immediately although it eventually did. This is normal in my experience.

It was then that I noticed the vertical slop in the lever movement. You can lift the lever up by hand. Then let go, clank!

Last edited:
   / Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal
its prolly still partially in. I absolutely think the lever sucks. you may think your in, but that one inch drop is not full in, at least not on mine, you have give good pressure and you can feel it click a touch more then its locked.

It doesn't unlock immediately which is my expectation. It does after some movement.

Yes, the 1" drop then engagement upon wheel movement is what I see too.

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #7  
rdinatal,
I haven't been in here for a while, saw your post and thought I would put something down.
I have a 2014 Max28, owned for about 6 years, bought with 43 hours on it.
I have never used the diff lock, although I have tried it and it never appeared to work for me, and I have never crawled under to see why.
The pedal has about 2" or so or travel, it sits about 2/3 of the way down with approx 3/4" of travel that requires light pressure, but as I said it doesn't appear to do anything.

I now have the upper portion of my tractor apart, 3PH isn't working, Valve doesn't change anything, Lever and Valve doesn't do anything but after I power wash the tractor tomorrow AM, (05/29/22) I will get a better look at what happens when I press the Diff Lock Pedal.

A quick look... I don't see any springs, should there be one ?
All I have right now is moving linkage and a lot of built up crud.

Just thought I would speak up !

Later/GOD Bless

Last edited:
   / Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #8  
I clean up some of the Crud build up, when to use my power washer and it wouldn't start, but that's another story.

My Trac Lock does teh same as the OP's, it will move about 3/4" with pressure, it comes back to that point and can be lifted another 1.5 to 2".

I didn't see any spring hanging around the area, I do not know if the Trac Lock works but need to test it once I get things back together.

Back to my 3PH problem investigation.

/ Max26xl HST Diff Lock Pedal #10  
On my 1626, I press the lever with my heel and when I'm done I lift it up with the back of my heel. It pops right back up, no longer engaged. I know what you mean when you feel like it should do something else, but it doesn't.

Press to engage and keep you foot on it as long as you need, then release and raise it.