MF 1020 charging update

/ MF 1020 charging update #1  

JE86

Tractor
1992 Mf 1020
Just installed a new regulator on tractor today and miraculously it worked. Due to no parts available from MF I ordered one for a JD 650, had to really push the plugs together but it worked and the alternator is charging the battery. This all started when the tractor wouldn't start, checked the battery and I tried a new alternator which was not the problem. Never been able to figure out why there are no parts for these tractors. There is a MF dealer ten minutes from me but have never been able to get one part from them. From these forums I know there is an Allis Ch that is supposed to be the same but hard to find those parts too.

/ MF 1020 charging update
Ok, about three weeks ago fan belt shredded and alternator locked up. Took alternator apart and one of the two bearings was frozen. Ordered two from Amazon, again no parts for mf 1020. Installed them today and reattached alternator, started tractor and the alternator is charging. Not a mechanic and terrible with electrical issues but thanks to YouTube and being cheap, don't want to pay someone to come out to fix it. Also I read somewhere permanent magnet altornators can't be rebuilt. So I was a little hesitant to try it. There were some alternators for $60.00 the bearings were $5.00.

/ MF 1020 charging update #3  
I know nothing about alternator types. I've had very good luck replacing brushes in alternators to set them charging again. You've done the bearings so in my experience the only other thing is the brushes.

/ MF 1020 charging update
Thanks Roadworthy, it is charging so I don't need to mess with the brushes. If it was the brushes that would be it for the original alternator. Trying to keep everything original if I can, so far I have been able to do that.