MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power
Glad you found one at a discount! You might want to make sure you have good points and a good condenser in it before you install it. I have the Blue Streak part numbers if you want them, since I have the Perkins Gas in my MF20. (I know your pain on finding info, this is not a super common engine it seems)

It would be unlikely that it would have moved positions on you if all of the bolts were tight. There is a thrust washer under the end cover (the little triangle cover that is near the distributor), so pulling that cover might show you if something had moved out of where it should be.

If you dont have one, might be worth getting the service and parts books from agcopubs . They arent too expensive, and save a lot of heartache. The parts you can see online from the link DJ54 sent you, but I also like a hard copy for looking at in the garage sometimes.
I don't know what the "Blue Streak part numbers" mean... Please enlighten me!

Thanks!
Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #22  
I don't know what the "Blue Streak part numbers" mean... Please enlighten me!

Thanks!
Stuart
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Blue Streak is a brand of ignition products that you can get or cross reference at a local auto parts store.

DR-314 is the Rotor
DR-90 is the condenser
DR-2240 is a set of points

Note that you might want to keep your old condenser if it was working, new ones seem to be hit or miss

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #23  
Very true on condensers..

They had become so bad for the old flathead Ford's that someone made a heavy-duty one which cost a lot more and as word spread he could not make them fast enough... proves quality in context is marketable.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I dug in further and have found the worm gear that the distributor interfaces with is also chewed up. I don't know what the part or what the purpose of the housing is that the distributor interfaces with. I have been looking around and can't seem to identify it. Please help me out! I am just a do it yourselfer, and not some sort of gear head. I have made a video that shows the amount of play in the various parts. Not sure if that is normal or not. Help me out please! Part numbers for the pieces?

Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #25  
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I dug in further and have found the worm gear that the distributor interfaces with is also chewed up. I don't know what the part or what the purpose of the housing is that the distributor interfaces with. I have been looking around and can't seem to identify it. Please help me out! I am just a do it yourselfer, and not some sort of gear head. I have made a video that shows the amount of play in the various parts. Not sure if that is normal or not. Help me out please! Part numbers for the pieces?

Stuart

If you check back out on the acgo parts webpage, I think you want to look at section 34, listed "governor". The part number for that shaft is 737055M1. I attached the page and parts to try and help.

I am not sure if you can replace it from what you have now, or if you will have to pull the front timing cover off the engine to get access to the ball governor and the timing gear. Still its curious what got in there to cause things to get chewed up like that...

Attachments

• Perkins Distributor.pdf
    432.5 KB · Views: 69
If you check back out on the acgo parts webpage, I think you want to look at section 34, listed "governor". The part number for that shaft is 737055M1. I attached the page and parts to try and help.

I am not sure if you can replace it from what you have now, or if you will have to pull the front timing cover off the engine to get access to the ball governor and the timing gear. Still its curious what got in there to cause things to get chewed up like that...
Interesting... it is backwards from the way it is attached to the engine. Thanks!

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #27  
You are very welcome.
Interesting... it is backwards from the way it is attached to the engine. Thanks!
I checked my shop manual, and it looks like you will have to pull the timing cover off the front of the engine to replace that shaft.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to get a shop manual for your tractor if you go down the path of wanting to fix this yourself. I think you can absolutely do it, but there are a lot of things you need to take off to get there, and it would be helpful to make sure you can put things back to where they need to be.

I can scan a couple of pages in if you need them to get a better grip on where to go next.

You are very welcome.

I checked my shop manual, and it looks like you will have to pull the timing cover off the front of the engine to replace that shaft.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to get a shop manual for your tractor if you go down the path of wanting to fix this yourself. I think you can absolutely do it, but there are a lot of things you need to take off to get there, and it would be helpful to make sure you can put things back to where they need to be.

I can scan a couple of pages in if you need them to get a better grip on where to go next.
I was just looking at it and what you are saying rings true. The shaft is for sure stuck inside there. Can you point me to the manual where I can get it, because I agree with you. Moving forward I am going to need it. I still don't feel like I understand the reason for the failure, which is key to me, especially with the parts not being really available and very expensive.

Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #29  
I was just looking at it and what you are saying rings true. The shaft is for sure stuck inside there. Can you point me to the manual where I can get it, because I agree with you. Moving forward I am going to need it. I still don't feel like I understand the reason for the failure, which is key to me, especially with the parts not being really available and very expensive.

Stuart
I think this is the one you need.

I suggest the "standard" one, it will come as a bunch of loose pages you can put in your own binder.

Or you can look at this listing on eBay:

Thats a nice two for one deal, but not sure on the quality. Might be great for this particular fix.

My guess is that either something got stuck with your distributor and that caused it to seize, which chewed up your gears, or there was some other debris that somehow got in between the two, and you might just find it as you continue to take things apart.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #30  
Is this a larger problem on that engine than I've never seen before..?? There were quite a few 135 gassers around here years back, but maybe they were the Continental engines. Out of 55 results I got searching Google for this shaft, except for the really expensive one's only one shows it to be available but can't order online. Distributor Drive Shaft fits Massey Ferguson 2135 20 135 737055M1 fits Perkins AG3.152 Apparently they are getting them through another supplier.