MF 145 Assistance Please

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #11  
Well......I might be praising myself a bit here but. if i feel the person I am thinking of loaning any of my riggin to is likely to start destroying it as soon as they touch it......it was never a serious consideration to loan anything to them in the first place
It has been my observation that for any number of different reasons people with zero equipment IQ stand out in the crowd. That said clutch and brakes in 600 hours would be some kind of record on a mid 60s tractor of any kind. Especially when even loader tractors see many thousands if not ten thousand hours before a clutch is needed
Maybe the throw out bearing went out and they did a clutch while they were there. Had to do a 68 John Deere like that. Clutch still looked new. Old fella had 1000 cows, baled his hay, did a garden since 68.

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #12  
Maybe the throw out bearing went out and they did a clutch while they were there. Had to do a 68 John Deere like that. Clutch still looked new. Old fella had 1000 cows, baled his hay, did a garden since 68.
It seems he may have had a bad translation of the work order eg French to Belgian to English with a lot lost in translations....no clutch ,some engine work in 2014. With brakes bought recently. Most likely brake drums were rusty and squeaking.....so original owner bought shoes in anticipation of replacement
You keep burning mixed diesel and used oil in your riggin.....knock yourself out. Personally I will be burning diesel in mine and I recommend that everyone else to do the same.

/ MF 145 Assistance Please
The owner did indicate (before he stopped speaking to us) that he did use the heating oil and I think, given the age and comments above, it probably worked ok on the French heating oil. I'll stick with diesel just in case though. Saving a few Euros at the risk of a big bill isn't worth it.

I've looked further in the invoice that was waved as evidence by the owner and it was dated 2014 ands vaguely states engine work. His comments re brakes (and possibly clutch) indicated this was done in the last year. I'm going to contact the servicing garage to see if they have history they are willing to share. But regardless of all that, it seems to be a low hour model in very good condition. And a new owner that has no idea how to use it yet, beyond driving slowly around the courtyard on the flat. Next step, hook up the lawn mover attachment and see what happens.

Thanks for all the comments. If I don't get on it with it, it'll be cleaned, listed and exchanged for a modern park mower :). It should be owned by someone that loves these models.

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #14  
The owner did indicate (before he stopped speaking to us) that he did use the heating oil and I think, given the age and comments above, it probably worked ok on the French heating oil. I'll stick with diesel just in case though. Saving a few Euros at the risk of a big bill isn't worth it.

I've looked further in the invoice that was waved as evidence by the owner and it was dated 2014 ands vaguely states engine work. His comments re brakes (and possibly clutch) indicated this was done in the last year. I'm going to contact the servicing garage to see if they have history they are willing to share. But regardless of all that, it seems to be a low hour model in very good condition. And a new owner that has no idea how to use it yet, beyond driving slowly around the courtyard on the flat. Next step, hook up the lawn mover attachment and see what happens.

Thanks for all the comments. If I don't get on it with it, it'll be cleaned, listed and exchanged for a modern park mower :). It should be owned by someone that loves these models.
Don't quote me on this bit I think heating oil is heavier than diesel. So maybe not as refined as diesel and that caused seals in the pump to fail.....thats my best guess anyway. Good luck my friend.
PS, If you have an owners manual or can down load one from the internet read it. You might save yourself some grief/frustration

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #15  
Well congratulations on the MF 145. All the tractors from that era are wonderful old machines. Keep the fluids filled and the battery up and expect it to go just fine for another 50 years.

Only downside to those older tractors is they are oddly tiring to use on a regular basis. They do last forever. They are Ok when you are young or using them just every once in a while. More modern ones are easier and comfortable by comparison. Part of that is just the lighter construction and controls.... along with power steering and shifting being standard these days.

Use the same diesel in that tractor that you buy at the pump for your diesel car or truck. All the other fluids are equally simple. For antifreeze it takes the old green colored ethylene glycol 50/50 mix. Much the same as autos of the same vintage.

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #16  
Hello bigandyman.The engine runs on diesel. The manual reccomends an anual service if doing low hours, or per a set number of hours if doing higher (200 +see manual for exact #)
I had an MF 135 about the age of yours and It lived in a shed from new(1964), the tacho was a lot more faded than yours. I suspect that you have a replacement tacho.Also the hours don't add up. Even at a low 50 hours per year you should have about 2800 hours on the tacho. These tractors routinely do 10000 hours and more on basic maintenance.
If you haven't already, GET an OPERATORS MANUAL, it will tell you what you need to know .
Engine dipstick is on the left side.
Gearbox dipstick is in the rightside by your right heel.

Steering box, is below the steering wheel, seals are pro to fail after 50, yes fifty years. Check it because they (in New Zealand) are pricey to replace.
Could you add a photo of the instruments please? this will tell weather you have a deluxe or standard model.
Also is the gearbox a 6 speed, or a multipower?

This tractor has lived in a shed all its life, just look at the paint condition. You have a gem.

/ MF 145 Assistance Please #17  
Hi. Thanks for the responses. I've translated the 'repair bill' and it seems to suggest it was engine related and dated 2014. Perhaps the owner had paid for the brake separately and recently. And I've come to learn with an 85 year old French gent, that recently could be a decade ago. It's relative! And maybe something was lost in translation between the French owner, the Belgian agent and our English. I will try and contact the garage the did the work as they're still in existence and see what they have on record.

It's certainly low in hours and for the last 30 years he's owned it, it's just cut grass and pulled a bowser for watering the plants. I can only assume it's the original dial and working. Time will tell. I've attached some photo's for reference.
Their is no way your tractor only as 6452h unless it was forgotten in a barn for a very long time. Your Tractor it is on its second turn of the dial or even third so it has 106452h. but don't worry it is good for a other full one if you keep repairing it. you have a very clean tractor don't let the hours deceive you these things run for ever.

Last edited: