MF 2135 Reverse Shift Issue

/ MF 2135 Reverse Shift Issue #1  

Kjart

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35
I have a MF 2135 industrial with the following issue. Shifting into all forward gears appears to work okay. Shifting from 1st to reverse is not working. Through the fluid filler hole I can use a screwdriver to move the visible gear backward into reverse and it works as expected. When I shift from reverse to first everything seems fine and I can see the the gear move forward. When I shift back to reverse the gear does not move and I have to move it manually with the screwdriver to get in back into reverse.

/ MF 2135 Reverse Shift Issue #2  
So with the tractor motor off is moves freely, with the engine running you cannot move from Forward to reverse or the opposite.
This could be a clutch pedal adjustment issue, if you have a PTO it will have a dual stage clutch, where as when you first press it allows to change gears, then second stage for PTO when you press all the way to the floor.

With the motor off. Take off the service plate under the transmission, if its like the 35 you should have a plate under the tranny with 4 bolts you can take off, then with a helper pressing the clutch verify engagement and distance to throughout bearing, you can achieve some adjustment by loosening the bolt at the clutch pedal.

A friend had a 202 that exhibited the same problems and it required a split to change the clutch & disk, no amount of adjusting the pedal fixed the grinding.

clutchpedal.JPG

clutchpedal2.JPG