MF180 Multi Power Linkage

/ MF180 Multi Power Linkage #1  

CRBN

Tractor
MF 180
I recently purchased a 1967 MF180 with continental gas engine. Everything functions well except the multi power, I followed the linkage down from the lever and its not connected to anything. I can't figure out where the shaft into the transmission is, or what that linkage is supposed to hook up to. It seems that it should be on the bell housing, but there is nothing there for it to hook to.

The tractor free wheels down hills, so it seems it is stuck in low range.

Does anyone know or have photos of where the linkage enters the transmission or have a diagram of the linkage? Photos attached, first is of the top of the bell housing second has the linkage coming down from the multi power lever circled in red.

IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.jpg

/ MF180 Multi Power Linkage #2  
There is a hole in the top of the bell housing not far from the end of the rod in your photo. Originally there was a bushing of sorts, and a rubber boot around another rod about the same diameter as what you have, That rod went down to the mutipower control valve inside the clutch housing. The two rods were attached to a piece of linkage that provided both connection and adjustment so movement of the handle on the dash panel operated the valve linkage inside. If all of that is gone, it's a good bet someone removed it at some point opting to operate in low range only. Most likely because the high range had problems they didn't care to invest the time, effort, and expense to repair. I suspect if you clean of some of the crud in that area you will find the hole.

/ MF180 Multi Power Linkage
There is a hole in the top of the bell housing not far from the end of the rod in your photo. Originally there was a bushing of sorts, and a rubber boot around another rod about the same diameter as what you have, That rod went down to the mutipower control valve inside the clutch housing. The two rods were attached to a piece of linkage that provided both connection and adjustment so movement of the handle on the dash panel operated the valve linkage inside. If all of that is gone, it's a good bet someone removed it at some point opting to operate in low range only. Most likely because the high range had problems they didn't care to invest the time, effort, and expense to repair. I suspect if you clean of some of the crud in that area you will find the hole.
Thank you! Naturally, I found where its supposed to go right after I posted this- there was a bolt sitting in a hole. I was able to remove it and found the shift mechanism safety wired inside the bell housing.

Any idea where I can source the parts to reinstall? possible to reinstall through the inspection plate without splitting the tractor?

/ MF180 Multi Power Linkage #4  
I can't answer that, I have never tried. If you can see the linkage through the hole on the bottom, and you tell if it's all there? It's basically a rod going up through the hole, and some pins, and linkage toggles on the control valve support. The missing part is probably only part that connects the two rods on the out side of the bell housing.

Another option might be this. The valve spool is detented in both positions. If you can reach the linkage through the hole you can shift the spool by hand to the high range position. Start the tractor and see if the transmission drives. You may find out pretty quickly why it's disconnected.

/ MF180 Multi Power Linkage
Awesome I'll give it a try, thanks for the info!