Mice and a Terrible bad day.

/ Mice and a Terrible bad day.
Wow....not a good day. Sorry you had that happen.

I've always kind of wondered if the nests would actually start a fire.
I used to flip the hood open just to scan for nests, but I never really looked way down behind stuff. After running the sled for a bit, I could usually smell cooked mice though.
Snowmobiles like a lot of things have a lot of flammable stuff, if your engines running hot due to lack of cooling snow or dirty carbs it may not blow the engine but the exhaust can and will get very hot, glowing in some cases, hence why on some they wrap the exhaust can in insulation with a heat shield over it Mice, unfortunately, don't mind fiberglass. I have an old 440 fanner that blew the fan belt it got so hot it was dieseling with no spark just running off the heat of the engine the y pipe out of the engine was red hot. I replaced the fan belt and its still running strong 10+ yrs later with no rebuild.

/ Mice and a Terrible bad day. #12  
That sucks. I have to say that I've never seen a fire like that started by mice before.
I'm also one who won't use poison, after killing a cat with it many years ago. Presumably it ate the mice I put it out for.
"They" say it can't happen but...

/ Mice and a Terrible bad day. #13  
Sleds do roast quite nicely, I've roasted a couple in the past myself. No mice issues here, I have watch cats on duty in the barn and old school snap traps in the shop, baited with peanut butter. They love peanut butter.

/ Mice and a Terrible bad day.
That sucks. I have to say that I've never seen a fire like that started by mice before.
I'm also one who won't use poison, after killing a cat with it many years ago. Presumably it ate the mice I put it out for.

Well I'm not a fire Marshall but it started by the exhaust can near the oil tank when I was cleaning out the mouse residue before I left there was a lot of fiberglass insulation pulled out behind the heat shield. Any mouse remains were definitely cremated. Would've, should've, could've done things differently.

/ Mice and a Terrible bad day. #15  
Sorry this happened to you, glad you are ok.
Thank you for sharing