Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration?

/ Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
My dad still has my Gpa’s 4000 gas tractor that he bought new in the mid 60s. It has not ran in about 15-18 years and I’m sure needs an engine rebuild, but has been stored in a shed. I’m just trying to get a ballpark estimate on what it would cost to restore it and maybe add power steering. It will need all four new tires as well. I know tires can really add to the cost.

/ Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration? #2  
Tires are going to cost way more than an engine overhaul but before I ran down that hole I would get running since the engine may be perfectly alright and the only way to know is to get it started. Beside any parts needed to get running will be needed if you do overhaul it.

As for P/S the best option is to find a tractor being parted out that has the parts needed. They will/can be as expensive as the tires for the old Fords, I know since I have toyed with adding P/S to my 850 but decide I really don't need it each time I price one.

/ Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration? #3  
Was the engine bad before it was parked?

/ Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration? #5  
Last I remember it was always getting worked on. Tractor was mainly used to run pto on a grain auger.

Always getting worked on is probably a fact of life for a 60 year old tractor.

/ Mid-60s 4000 Gasser Restoration? #6  
Always getting worked on is probably a fact of life for a 60 year old tractor.
I had one. You had to have pliers and screwdriver in your pocket just to walk by and look at it. But I will still say it's a good tractor.