Mini Ex Advice Please

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #11  
I'm in a similar situation as the OP with a bunch of projects needing a mini-ex on a private mountain property. I have a 20 series Branson tractor without backhoe and having a dedicated machine that can handle trenching for drainage, digging retaining wall footings, laying CAT6 cable and digging the occasional small to mid sized tree stump would be the preferred option.

My thinking is to find a used brand name model that isn't too badly abused. I will need to educate myself on what to look for when shopping and how many hours would be too many. I think I would want to stay away from a rental unit but maybe there are some out there that would be a good value.

Sticking to a name brand also gives me better options for selling once all my projects are completed although I can see me changing my mind about that once I have it.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #12  
Curious how your experience with the Kubota's assists the OP's request on finding the best Chinese excavator?
I must have read the OP's post wrong. I did not see where he was looking for the best Chinese excavator.

It seems he did consider a Chinese, but decided he would prefer a name brand instead.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #13  
As a Chinese Mini Owner, I can spot 1 flaw in your calculations

That $15-20K will become $75-80K in a Name Brand Unit. 2 footittes we call it in the Boating World.

I am not saying that the Chinese Minis are anything close to the Name Brands in quality, but they dig the same holes, and if you are not using them daily, that $60K is awfully nice in a Bank Account.

Another benefit of the Chinese Minis is that they are repairable by Average Joes with a little mechanical aptitude. But, I currently have 70hrs on my 2023 unit without any work but maintenance, Oil Change, Track Tightening, and a few mods to reduce the Heat of the Air cooled Briggs, Liquid Diesels units seem not to have as bad a heat problem.

A 1.7 ton excavator from a reputable manufacturer doesn’t cost 80k new. Not even half that much. 20k would buy you a pretty decent used 1.7 ton excavator. I would way rather spend 20k for a used reputable manufacturer machine than a new china machine. $80k would get you a 57 Kubota with a cab.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #14  
!5-20K for a New 1.7T Chinese means he is getting some attachments also, All relevant. Expect to pay less than 1/2 for a New Chinese vs a New Name Brand, Attachments are even a bigger savings.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #15  
The last Kubota brand hydro filters I ordered were made in China.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #16  
I must have read the OP's post wrong. I did not see where he was looking for the best Chinese excavator.

It seems he did consider a Chinese, but decided he would prefer a name brand instead.

My bad and I deserve the correction. Comprehensive reading is important!

/ Mini Ex Advice Please
Without starting a brand new thread, I need some help on size. 4k lb machine vs 6k lb. ViO17v25, U17v27. Without the experience, I dont understand the real world applications I would gain or lose. Obviosuly the 25/27 is slightly larger, and if I ever did some side work the 17 would fit through a gate. Can a 17 drop a dead horse in a hole, or place a pre-cast catch basin? If not, can the 25/27? My local Yanmar dealer doesnt even carry the 25 because he says the 17 lift capacity is only a couple hundred lbs less, and contractors skip the 25 and go straight to the 35+. Kubota on the other hand doesnt offer a factory hydraulic thumb on the 17, which is something I really want.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please
I'm in a similar situation as the OP with a bunch of projects needing a mini-ex on a private mountain property. I have a 20 series Branson tractor without backhoe and having a dedicated machine that can handle trenching for drainage, digging retaining wall footings, laying CAT6 cable and digging the occasional small to mid sized tree stump would be the preferred option.

My thinking is to find a used brand name model that isn't too badly abused. I will need to educate myself on what to look for when shopping and how many hours would be too many. I think I would want to stay away from a rental unit but maybe there are some out there that would be a good value.

Sticking to a name brand also gives me better options for selling once all my projects are completed although I can see me changing my mind about that once I have it.
Buy a 5k disposable excavator or take 5k in depreciation over the same amount of use, it's just whether you have the scratch to deposit in the bank. But with that deposit comes much less breakdowns, failures, and a warranty.

A name brand 1.7 is actually 4k lbs, where these 1.8-2t chinese machines are closer to 3k lbs, from what I have seen. It makes it hard to find a true comparison. You can buy one of these 1.8 chinese machines for $12k, but it is not nearly a clone of a name brand. Trying to match specs to a yanmar/kubota 17, Chinese machines start approaching $20-22k if you go look at a Kimron or Groundhog.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #19  
In the same boat has others and shopping for a Mini Ex, have an L6060 cab with FEL, and a Dingo TX1000. Rented a VIO 25 ROP with 2 way blade an the machine was powerful but did not have a thumb and just seems limited on reach. Decide to shop for Yanmar VIO-35 R6 or a Kubota KX033 with thumb and 4 way blade. Both the Yanmar and Kubota hold their value well and have good dealer support. The added lifting capacity and reach of the 35 vs 25 sold me it is worth owning the larger machine vs the extra weight and size.

Still trying to decide cab vs ROPS.....

If on a budget would go used main brand vs China clones.

/ Mini Ex Advice Please #20  
I didnt buy a Cat 303.5 (8K machine) with 2500 hrs in 2022 for $27K - one owner well maintained machine. I couldn't justify the purchase for 20-30 hrs i might use it in a year as I have the Kubota BH too,

So this year looked at two options - the 1.8 Ton Terror (3600 lbs) $11K with Kubota Diesel and the CFG STE 35 SR $26K (and 6100 Lbs) sold by AGT and built by Shantui. I bought the 1.8 ton - I like it but its not as refined as the name brand units. The biggest difference is the hydraulic system in the 1.8 Ton - single primary gear pump on the 1.8 T and a secondary pump for the pilot controls vs the dual pumps on the name brand machines.

The larger CFG is the best $ value and has better hydraulics and a cab etc. 25HP 2.8 Ton Mini Excavator YANMAR Engine,Diesel For Sale| CFG-STE35SR - agrotkindustrial for the $ is the better choice. The only decision is do you get this new machine or get a name brand 2-3000 hr used machine for similar $ ?

Shantui maker of the CFG machine also build for the big name brands (Kobelco) and have been building large machines and dozers too.