Mix brands of hydraulic oil?

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I’m adding top-and-tilt cylinders to my tractor and will need to top off the hydraulic oil. Can I safely mix brands of hydraulic oil, or do I need to make the drive to the New Holland dealership?

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #2  
It will be fine. It's such a small amount, it won't even care. Chances are that you won't even notice much of change on the oil level after running the top and tilt a couple times.

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil?
It will be fine. It's such a small amount, it won't even care. Chances are that you won't even notice much of change on the oil level after running the top and tilt a couple times.
Wow, a homemade backhoe. Now that’s some DIY!

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #4  
Wow, a homemade backhoe. Now that’s some DIY!
Yeah, that one took a while to make. 😅 It's not pretty but works great and have saved me so much money on renting one. It does have an hydraulic thumb not shown on these pictures and I have since added a small dozer blade like mini excavator, this was a great addition, and also got a deal on some wheels from a forklift for the steer axle.

IMG_20210407_181337.jpg
IMG_20210407_181333.jpg

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #5  
PTSG, what did you do with the rock?

Oh, on the hydraulic oil the answer is that since there aren't any accepted industry standards for hydraulic oil formulation, performance, and supplements in the US....and without any ANSI or SAE specs to go on either, then nobody can tell you for sure that hydraulic oils are compatible.

In the absence of problems it seems that operators just sort of assume that fluids can mix OK. I haven't heard of any compatiability failures from mixing hydraulic oils here or on other foums. And each time SSQA equipment is rented at skid steer rental yards it puts quarts of unknown fluid into expensive industrial hydraulics - but nobody seems worried there.
So the common evidence is OK.

Last edited:
   / Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #6  
What did you do with the rock?
Moved it to where it doesn't get in the way. Turns out I found three more just slightly smaller after I pulled that one out.

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #7  
Moved it to where it doesn't get in the way. Turns out I found three more just slightly smaller after I pulled that one out.
I like to powerwash them and use them for my landscaping. It is staggering how much that nice rocks go for at the dirt and rock shop. Especially since so many new construction is now transitioning from lawns to low maintenance/low water landscaping.
Landscape rocks at local landscapers go from a couple hundred bucks to maybe 4 times that. Each rock is individually labeled and priced.
rScotty

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #8  
I like to powerwash them and use them for my landscaping. It is staggering how much that nice rocks go for at the dirt and rock shop. Especially since so many new construction is now transitioning from lawns to low maintenance/low water landscaping.
Landscape rocks at local landscapers go from a couple hundred bucks to maybe 4 times that. Each rock is individually labeled and priced.
rScotty
Come and get them. I have plenty of those. 😅 I'll actually have modify the forks so I can hook them on the 3 pt and move those heavy rocks out of the way.

These are the other ones I took from the same place I took bigger one. They were in the way when I was opening a ramp to get a better entrance to the propriety.

IMG_20210515_190940.jpg
IMG_20210515_190900.jpg

In the last couple weeks I've digging the ruins out of a very old house that were hidden under very tall brush. The entire house was made using those rocks. It really amazes me how people manage to lift those heavy rocks way back in the day to build 2 ft wide walls of the house.

/ Mix brands of hydraulic oil? #9  
I’m adding top-and-tilt cylinders to my tractor and will need to top off the hydraulic oil. Can I safely mix brands of hydraulic oil, or do I need to make the drive to the New Holland dealership?
My dealer said no problem so long as the specs are right you are golden