More horsepower, really worth it?

/ More horsepower, really worth it? #1  

GrantMO

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410
I've called several NH dealers around here and have found that when going up from TC25D to 29D and to 33D the price increases nearly $2000 each time. My question is whether it's worth the money or necessary. I plan to use the tractor mostly for finish mowing, rotary mowing, back and box blading. Won't the 25D perform these duties well enough and I could spend some of that extra money on a rotary mower, box blade and toplink hydraulics? I've decided on the D package with HST and do come from the more is better school on most things but since money is a priority I'm trying to sort out whether I need the extra horsepower.

Grant

/ More horsepower, really worth it? #2  
Most people find themselves in situations where more power is wanted from time to time. However power, speed and maneuverability are tradeoffs. More power usually means bigger, and bigger can be undesirable for things like finish mowing. It leaves more trim work and takes more time to go around things. More power gets things done faster, usually because bigger implements can be used. However, smaller implements and good operating technique can get most things done with less power, it just takes longer.

/ More horsepower, really worth it? #3  
The extra horse power is always nice..kinda think of it as 4wd,you have it if you should ever need it.

Look at your lot {6@ mostly flat}and you will be mostly finish mowing and blade work.

By the sounds you pick a comfortable horse power range TC25&TC29,also your making an investment for years to come so take your time and look thru all the specs,even attachments for the future.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ More horsepower, really worth it? #4  
Grant, two years ago I was going thru exactly the same as you. If I remember right, the 25, 29, & 33, all have the same amount of lift on the 3 point & fel. The addition of HP only helps in pulling or pushing.
At the time, I thought the TC25D would suit my needs, but a little extra HP couldn't hurt. I also found out that, at that time NH was selling more TC29D's than 25's or 33's. I reasoned that more demand new, might mean more demand at resale or trade in time. So, I sprang for the extra money and took the 29.
Another thing, I understand that the 29 is a goosed up version of the 25. The 33 is actually a larger engine.
I think TomG has it right. A smaller tractor will get it done, it just takes it a little longer. Hope this helps some.

Ernie
"I deem it necessary for Texas to be ready to meat an army of eight or ten thousand strong in May next." Eli Mercer (in a letter to Henry Smith Dec,1835)

/ More horsepower, really worth it? #5  
Grant, I would say that for myself, its typically the loader lift capacity I'm looking at. If the more HP also meant greater lift capacity of the loader which usually corresponds to a heavier and larger machine, then that is what I strive for. In this case, apparently the 3 machines in question are using the same loader and thus it can be assumed similar if not identical capacities. This is where the trade off between power and price are the primary factors. Unless the engine is different IE. 4 vs 3 cylinders, I think it a bit difficult to pay a considerably higher price for a larger bore/stroke with all else being similar. With the years of use I've had with the smaller tractors, in the end, it is the loader ability that I always end up judgeing a tractors primary utilitarian benefit on. I should think that if mowing were my main purpose, a smaller displacement tractor would be suitable providing it can handle the given mower. I find with my tractor, that mowing is of little stress to the motor unless the weeds are quite high, in which case I just slow down and give the mower/engine a chance to do their work. Rat...