MT to Wooden 1050 backhoe - hydraulic draft control pressure relief pop off

/ MT to Wooden 1050 backhoe - hydraulic draft control pressure relief pop off #1  

Bull Hill Farm

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 243
Any comments on how to lock out the hydraulic draft control so that pressure from a three-point hitch backhoe doesn't repeatedly pop off a pressure relief valve and damage the system

/ MT to Wooden 1050 backhoe - hydraulic draft control pressure relief pop off #2  
Yeah, for sure. I had a heavy boom cutter that did several bad things to my tractor before I got it fully supported and understood (!) One thing was that the weight got magnified by the geometry of the stabilizer rods and the force was so great on the top link that is bent the big steel plate surrounding the PTO and holding the top link support. During this fiasco, the 3pt lift SEEMED to have quit. In fact, the extreme force on the top link was overriding the normal draft control and invoking it against my desires and without my knowing it. This fooled many people including VERY senior Massey mechanics. The fact is that the draft lever being 'fully up' is normally adequate to take draft control out of the picture BUT is really only desensitizing, not totally disabling draft control !! For that reason Massey sells a bypass kit which takes Draft Control totally out of the picture and attaches the top link base support to the axle of the tractor rather than to that big thick Draft spring. SO, there are a bunch of reasons to just bypass Draft Control entirely rather than desensitizing it with the lever. I can provide more detail/picture if anyone wants.

A very small % of us have any need for Draft Control in the first place. I never do.