MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129)

/ MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129) #1  

cloves

Tractor
JCB 8018 CTS
Hi all, I picked up a mtd rear tine tiller that needed some work. It was having a shifting into fwd and reverse issue. Turns out it was a broken cog. I took the whole gear box apart and cleaned out all the old grease which looks like it might have been a mistake based on the cost of the grease lol. :ashamed:

The manual says it needs Benalene Grease 920 8 Oz Item#: 737-0300A. Somewhere online some mentioned it needs 40oz, which I can can't confirm. The grease per 8oz is $25 a tube which is expensive.

Wondering if anyone knew any other greases that would more affordable? Saw one forum post mention EP-1 grease which I am pretty sure is the stuff I use for my grease fittings in my mini excavator.

/ MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129) #2  
40 ounces is correct, Work on them for a living. Haven't done one in years because of cost to repair in some cases. Don't think I ever come across a substitute. I know the MTD grease is a synthetic composite with the consistency of about a 00 grease, maybe a little thinner.

/ MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129) #3  
I have an MTD (CUB) rear tine tiller. First thing I did (years ago) was take the selector cover off, pull the plastic plug button on the top of the gearcase and added a good load of LE Synthetic grease, same stuff I use on my farm equipment. That was 10 years ago and zero issues since then.

I believe people ruin the cogs because they are straight cut and not syncromesh so shifting from forward to reverse always some jogging, not jamming. People that jam, eventually destroy the gearsets. I read about that all the time, people whining about shifting gears.

Mine runs like a top and I built a hiller / furrower for mine when I plant potatoes. The engine sucked. The supposedly good Honda threw a rod early on and the Honda shop denied warranty, so it got a 99 buck Pred. Been running fine for at least 8 years now.

/ MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129) #4  
5030 the common issue is the case isn't sealed against rain and heavy moisture so it seeps in around the top shafts and rust the hex shaft that the shift gear slides on.

/ MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129)
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Last night I kept reading up and I did happen to find a few pointing to "Tecumseh Peerless Bentonite Grease".

@RANDYT thanks for confirming the 40oz. I didn't see that in the mtd instructions anywhere. Since you work on these all the time do you recommend I change anything else while I am in here? My #37 cog broke so I will be replacing that. I was going to put in a new gasket but they are out of stock and expensive. I am going to clean some of the grease and reinstall it. The case inside of the case was ok, no rain or rust. I was thinking of changing the spring in the channel as well. Thoughts?

I had a heck of an issue taking the cover off. I had to grab some emery cloth and take some of the surface rust off the shaft and use a socket and heavy hammer on the shaft to get the cover off finally.

Update: Correction the cog that broke was #37 I highlighted the wrong number in the attached drawing.

mtd tiller drawing parts.png

Last edited:
   / MTD 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Grease Options (21AA413B129) #6  
5030 the common issue is the case isn't sealed against rain and heavy moisture so it seeps in around the top shafts and rust the hex shaft that the shift gear slides on.

The only time mine is outside is when I'm using it. It stays in the equipment barn when sitting. Never in the rain. I don't leave any of my equipment outside ever.

Really a nice tiller especially the reverse tine direction when breaking ground, not that I do that. I have an older Troy Bilt Horse too. I hardly ever use it now. I was a bit wary about buying it but it's been flawless for me.

Even if it did sit outside, I have enough LE EP synthetic grease in the gear case to prevent much moisture intrusion. I added at least 3 full tubes of grease when I bought it, filled it right up to the plastic plug in the top. I had read MTD didn't put much in so I added plenty.

Like I said, only issue was the motor.