Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe?

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #1  

Zork

Platinum Member
Tractor
'04 Branson 3520, '51 Fergy, '96 MTD 18/46, '02 Craftsman GT5000/48
Greetings, I have a 2004 3520 with a 7620?subframe backhoe. It seems at the very least, the inner lower pivots of the 3point arms must be removed to give room for the subframe mount. The subframe uses the lower arm pivotbolts. The backhoe has remained on the tractor for 99% of the time since I have a separate tractor dedicated to 3point use.

Removing and replacing the backhoe is easy enough, but bolting up and removing the 3point arms was always a hassle, I am especially concerned now that I feel weak.
Maybe all I need is a separate bracket mount for the 3point arms.

So, the question is: Can I keep the 3point arms/assembly on the tractor while using a subframe backhoe mounted or must the arms be removed?

Attachments

• 16907193840505237457609387712280.jpg
    16907193840505237457609387712280.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
   / Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #2  
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the 3pt arms have to come off for most (all?) tractors with backhoes. May be some that actually use the 3pt, but that seems a recipe for disaster.

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe?
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the 3pt arms have to come off for most (all?) tractors with backhoes. May be some that actually use the 3pt, but that seems a recipe for disaster.
You and I have good reason for concern, thanks. I saw the logic in taking them off JIC the 3point lever was moved up. But I seem to remember early posts on non functioning 3points due to the center knob adjustment being (?) Open (?). When my health was good the arm replacement was [in reality] a slight inconvenience. I was thinking given my current health condition, there might be an easier way, especially since I now have a hydraulic top link and soon to be hydraulic tilt. Maybe I just keep the hoe off more often.
Thanks

Last edited:
   / Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #4  
The simplest answer is for you to try it on your machine. I can't on mine it won't fit.

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #5  
The arms have to be unbolted from the bracket on the axle because that's what the BH subframe attaches to. You could leave the arms attached to the tractor but they'll be swinging back and forth as you drive the tractor, banging around and damaging the tractor. If there was a bracket to hold them in place that'd be ok.

I don't see them being a problem for anything else. If's not like you can attach anything substantial to the 3pt with the BH mounted. The issue with using the 3pt with the BH on is that the BH valve stack can not handle the hydraulic pressure needed to lift anything significant. I think the tank port pressure limit on the Walvoil stack in my BH is 500 psi. Moving the 3pt with nothing on it should not come anywhere close to that. The valve stack is expensive though, so its safest to leave the 3pt alone when the BH is on.

Hydraulic tilt makes removing the 3pt harder due to the the added weight of the cylinder.

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #6  
I have a 3-valve remote. All three line pairs have quick release connectors. I use two for TnT but both of those have locking valves on them. I could, if needed, run an implement that needed three valves. I think some of the bank mowers need three valves. I'll be ready. ;)

Rear Remote Connect.jpg

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #7  
Simple answer= YES.

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #8  
When I owned my Branson 3520, I removed the arms, it was a pain. When I sold it to my neighbor, he just removed the outer half. I.E. he pulled them apart and left half on the machine. I thought "why didn't I think of that"

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe?
Q
When I owned my Branson 3520, I removed the arms, it was a pain. When I sold it to my neighbor, he just removed the outer half. I.E. he pulled them apart and left half on the machine. I thought "why didn't I think of that"
I thought about that, I guess taking out the lower/inner pins from the arms and let them hang..

Or, why not a parallel bracket with a lengthend pin/bolt on the outside where the current stabilizer is located?

This would widen the mount by about three inches on each side. This would also bring the attachment closer but would permit installing the hoe while the arms are installed.

Any additional thoughts?

/ Must i remove 3 point arms to install Backhoe? #10  
If you accidently move the 3 point lever with a backhoe on the back it could damage your tractor or the BH.
I always removed ours. Better to be safe