My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years.

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years. #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
First, what type of fitting is this. It obviously looks like a compression fitting but I have not located a similar one online.
The tube is 10mm. Can just the ferrile be replaced or entire fitting?

7862B9EB-F8B5-4A98-BA39-4F4DF2AF1060.jpeg

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years. #2  
hydraulic compression fitting, the brass ring squeezes down onto the pipe. One trick is to apply teflon to the threaded end and then around the ferrule itself (brass ring) retighten. If that doesnt work, the line and ferrule need to be replaced. Of course if you never, ever want to take it apart, some welding rod will fix it. :rolleyes:

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years. #3  
You might be able to carefully file the brass ferule off the tube. Bigger problem could be in finding a replacement ferule since I do not believe there is any standard size or shape from one fitting company to the next. If over tightened the tube itself could also be deformed (squeezed) smaller so new ferule may not seal either.

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years. #4  
That's a DIN 2353 fitting. While the ferrule is yellow, that's just a coating. The ferrule is hard steel as is need to dig in the pipe.

Are you sure it's leaking from there? Did you try tightening the nut a little bit to see if it stops? Those don't usually leak from there unless the fitting is loose or the pipe cracked. Almost looks like the fitting that attaches to the hydraulic check valve is leaking.

Anyway, you'll need to replace the tube as well since it's a major pain to take the ferrule out and chances are the new one won't seat or seal right, because of the marks the previous ferrule left.

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years. #5  
Orezok, I have all those metric din fittings and tubing if you can’t find anything local to you.

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years.
Thanks. I’m on a little vacation this week. I will tear into it next week.

/ My C&C top cylinder has developed a slow seep after 18 years.
I fixed it but I cheated! I got a bottle of Loctite 545 which is designed for hydraulic fittings. I put a few drops on each side of the ferrule and retightened. No more seepage.