My Evolution of Burning Fires

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #51  
When I was a forest fire fighter (lol almost 20 years ago!) at the end of the fire season (northern Ontario) we'd get tasked to burn some slash piles logging companies made - we'd take the remainder of stock mixed fuel (remember this is gov work - that mixed fuel would be deemed too old to use the next spring...) and pour multiple 5 gallon cans over each pile. Then the fun part - light a flare and throw it from a "safe" distance... On one occasion we managed to toss it into one pile that lit with an explosive whump and in doing so caused the neighbouring slash pile (also doused with mixed gas) to which lit with it's own "whump"... (note those 2 piles were not remotely close to each other!) Somewhere I've a film of it happening. lol. Suffice to say we might have used a bit more fuel then necessary...

E.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #52  
When I was a forest fire fighter (lol almost 20 years ago!) at the end of the fire season (northern Ontario) we'd get tasked to burn some slash piles logging companies made - we'd take the remainder of stock mixed fuel (remember this is gov work - that mixed fuel would be deemed too old to use the next spring...) and pour multiple 5 gallon cans over each pile. Then the fun part - light a flare and throw it from a "safe" distance... On one occasion we managed to toss it into one pile that lit with an explosive whump and in doing so caused the neighbouring slash pile (also doused with mixed gas) to which lit with it's own "whump"... (note those 2 piles were not remotely close to each other!) Somewhere I've a film of it happening. lol. Suffice to say we might have used a bit more fuel then necessary...

E.
I’m a forester. We always mix diesel with gas so it’s not so dangerous and the mix results in ignition, but not whump.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #53  
There was no diesel in this mix. (2 stroke mix 50:1) big ole whump. Our goal was get rid of all much fuel as quickly as we could lol. Like I said we used much more then was needed to light those piles.

But good point, I'm not suggesting anyone do what we did... Not exactly the safest move. But, younger, fractionally not as smart as today... But a fun story having lived to tell it.

E.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #55  
It's getting harder and harder to have a burn pile in CA. Calfire charges over $100 for a burn permit besides a yearly tax of over $100 AND more fees in the property taxes. To burn you have to notify the fire dept. that morning and confirm it is a burn day. Here it is only green/wet in the winter so burning can't happen after April. My neighbors and I have piles so large they sometimes burn for multiple days.
Kalifornia has always had really dumb laws.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #56  
I started my burning career with burning sticks in the burn barrel behind the house. Then I graduated to using a rake and pitch fork in piles on the ground. After that I started drinking beer with music, friends and hot dogs while burning bigger piles with the rake, chainsaw, axe and pitchfork. Cleared about a 1/4 acre of brush and trees at my parents house burning and drinking everything in site. It took a lot of beer and late nights to clear that land!!

As I got older, I quit drinking, bought house, land and tractor. Started bigger fires and used the tractor bucket to clean up around the fire. Bought a grapple and started really burning piles of brush.

View attachment 765042

Finally, I have reached the pinnacle. I now use an excavator and tractor to move and burn even bigger piles of brush/stumps. Don't drink beer anymore though and have money in the pocket.

View attachment 765043View attachment 765044

Also, as with everything else discussed on this site tractor and equipment related, the excavator and tractor are getting smaller everyday and I find my self wanting bigger tractors and excavators!!!! Maybe next thing will be a D9 Dozer!!! :LOL: As lots of folks on here say, BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!!!!
Absolutely!

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #57  
There's also the fact that because fires occurred more frequently there was less accumulated fuel for them to burn. Essentially more frequent fires = smaller fires (with the caveat that there were always exceptions).

Then we decided we didn't like stuff burning so we got a lot better at putting out forest fires before they did much damage. Unfortunately this meant the gradual buildup of dead plant matter which can turn a minor fire into a raging inferno.

I don't know if the USA practices controlled burns like we have in Australia but controlled burns can help (although there is always an element of risk).

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #58  
They've actually started allowing naturally occurring forest fires to burn in a lot of cases on government land for that reason, if people/property aren't endangered. Problem here in the USA is that there aren't that many places anymore where you can say that. And while forest management/fire fighters still mess up from time to time, their odds of getting it right are still a lot better than 'Bubba the Fire Bug'.