NAA and PHD

/ NAA and PHD #1  

timb

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160
I had planned on getting a decent, "middle-grade" PHD down the road to use with whatever CUT/Utility I end up with (think JD 4710/5105 size range, 40-ish PTO hp, Cat I.). However that tractor buy is probably next year and we and the inlaws have some projects coming up this year that could be a lot easier with the PHD. I'll buy the digger this year if:

1) We can use it with the family's '53 NAA, and

2) The "size" of unit that will work with my "future" tractor is still reasonable for the NAA.

Thoughts?

I guess not knowing that much about the subtleties of PTOs/hitches I'm concerned about matching the NAA PTO shaft (size/splines) and if the NAA 3-point is actually close enough for what passes today for a Cat I.

Anyone use a PHD on an NAA/8N/600?

Any recommendations on PHDs in general? I'd like to stay under $1000 for the PHD and 1 auger. (The more under the better but I do want it to hold up.) We'll be digging post holes in normal-to-moderate "shale" soil, maybe 12" or 18" holes. (Big enough for 6x6 or 6" round posts). Will need to go down a good 36"-42" around here.

Tim

/ NAA and PHD #2  
As far back as 1939, the 9n had a cat 1 3pt lift.. the 2n followed and the 8n, in 53, the Jubilee, and 54 NAA had the same cat 1 lift as standard today.

These early tractors however did come with a 1 1/8" 6 spline pto shaft, and todays standard is 1 3/8", 6 spline.

Throughout the years, many pto shafts have been changed out already to the newer size..

Alternately, you can get a variety of adapters to convert it over.. everything from slip on sleaves which do not increase the length, to stub extenders which add a little lenght, , and even slip clutches and over running couplers which will also adapt size... for a phd.. i don't think you need an ORC..

The pto hp on the NAA should be fine.. around 30ish or so, depending on the condition of the tractor. One benefit of the NAA over the ?N was live hyd's.. on the old 9/2/8n, if the clutch was in, no pto or hyds... on the NAA, if the clutch is in, no pto.. but you still have hyds.. is it is a cam driven pump on the engine.

While a modern 2 stage clutch machine, or indepentent pto machine might make it easier, the live hyds on the NAA will make it tolerable... ( Many people did phd's on the 8n's as well... just takes a bit of finagling to get everything straight )

If you are lucky, the pto shaft on the NAA has already been changed, and if you are extremely lucky, your NAA might have come with the independent pto option ( a dealer option.. considered rare.. but they are out there... )

Many people got the independent pto option, and an upgraded 5 spd tranny.. ( naa's came from the factory 4 spd.. )

Good luck.

If you need more info, feel free to email... I have both an 8n and a NAA.

Soundguy

/ NAA and PHD
Soundguy. Thanks for the info.

I didn't figure the hp was likely to be a problem, I knew the NAA was around 30-31 which should be enough for now. I plan on getting a PHD with if possible a gearbox rated well above the 40 hp or so I'll end up with. Like to get a slip-clutch unit with the possibility of adding down pressure some day as well if it fits in the budget.

I think my biggest concern for now was the geometry of the NAA's hitch - I knew it was "basically" an early cat I. but I wasn't sure if the exact specs had changed in any significant way since then. And whether that would pose any problems with overall lift height and range compared to the "current" cat I standard - or if the range of motion (length) the PTO shaft would have to go through was somehow much different than normal cat I.

Except for the "odd" paint scheme from the last paint job (orange/blue - don't ask), our NAA is box stock - bought new by my wife's grandfather in 1953 and been on the farm ever since. (Guess we should throw it a party this year!) 4-speed, no independent PTO (got the pictures of Pap with the nose of the NAA (and brush hog) in the pond to prove it!) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

/ NAA and PHD #4  
As far as the cat 1 geometry.. should be the same, or withing reasonable spec... For instance, a cat 1 drawbar is 26", that is the standard, and it fits my NH 1920 which is 6 years old ... that smae drawbar fits my 8n and NAA, and fits exactly with the lift arm stabilizers.. in fact.. with the stabilizers on, you can't be much different.. probably only a half inch off either way and the stab. arms wouldn't fit.

Your big concern will be how/what to use to adapt the pto to modern spec.. if you were thinking about getting a slip clutch.. might as well use it to adapt over, rather than having an extra piece of equipment in the driveline.

As for down pressure.. not many tractors have it. A few of the older tractors that had aftermarket 3pt hitches.. like big farmalls had a double acting lift cylinder, etc... but most of todays stuf is power up, gravity down.

I'm sure you could cobble it up using a remote and a single acting cylinder mounted to a lift arm, and afixed to the tractor near the toplink connection somewhere.

good luck

soundguy