nat gas water heater prices?

/ nat gas water heater prices? #11  
I bought one a few years ago so I likely have 8 or 10 years left on mine but with the major increase inprices of tank heaters I'm sure I'll spend the extra $$'s next time and go with a tankless unit.

I think tankless is the best way to go. Especially if you are building new. In my situation I might could have done tankless since that particular WH is in the carport in a closet so it would have gotten enough make up air easily but some times retro fitting them can be a real pain, so I hear.

/ nat gas water heater prices?
i am "considering" going ahead an putting in a tankless water heater: $300 tax credit: that would help a little bit: i assume thats not 300 back from your taxes, but a deduction on your taxes??? i see tankless water heaters from 500 up...but figure if i do go with one, i better buy it locally in case theres any problems.
heehaw

/ nat gas water heater prices? #13  
Here. I get about $1250.00 to install me providing the W.H. that's to bring everything up to code.. Expansion tank ,DW vent (1 story) fresh air vent (if needed),new cold water valve

The new Water Heaters come with a semi sealed combustion chamber with limits. There is also a device that suppose to shut the flame down ( so to speak) if there is a flash in the chamber . such as,, ignition of gasoline vapors. Because of this device,, per code,, They no longer are required to be 18" off the floor where flammable liquids are stored.. Some agencies/cities, still require 18'' off the floor..

I just had to replace mine this past sat.at 6 am. It's in the attic & ruptured. I guess it was time....... 22 yrs

/ nat gas water heater prices? #14  
I have 2 hot water heaters in my house. I heat the water with my gas furnace. Water tanks have been in for a year when December gets here. They were very expensive, especially since all they do is hold hot water. They have a lifetime warranty. The flame is in the furnace and heats water that is sent to tank through a hot water heating coil in tank. The furnace also heats water for house hot water heat. I am satisified with the water tanks I have. I also like the idea of having the furnace running every day for water heating. It beats shutting down all summer. I think the shut down causes problems that are prevented by having unit always being used.

Cheers

/ nat gas water heater prices? #15  
i am "considering" going ahead an putting in a tankless water heater: $300 tax credit: that would help a little bit: i assume thats not 300 back from your taxes, but a deduction on your taxes??? i see tankless water heaters from 500 up...but figure if i do go with one, i better buy it locally in case theres any problems.
heehaw

Unless you are ready to perform regular maintance .. Better forget tankless.. You can't just put them in & forget about them like most do the old tank type

/ nat gas water heater prices? #16  
Kenmac, I was waiting to see if anyone had found out about the cleaning. My supplier finally admitted, that if you pay me to clean it as required for warranty, it will have an operating cost more than a basic natural draft heater. I have been dodging the tankless heaters for a long time. I finally got to telling my customers, you bring the heater, I'll hang it. If anything leaks, call me, anything else call NASA. I have customers that had to have there spouse push the reset over and over so the other could get a shower. The manufacturer just says it should be working OK. The other thing is , point of use, better describes them. Try to put a recirc pump on one. My father spent the weekend at a friends $1,000,000 home and it took like 7 minutes to get hot water to the shower.

/ nat gas water heater prices? #17  
I have been to the classes. As an installer / plumber,, I would not own 1.. If you want 1 I will be glad to install it & provide a service contract to clean the coils every 6 months ..Contracts re-new every 2 yrs.. No service contract ... all you get from me is out of sight warranty..

Like I mentioned in the other post .. Mine went after 22 yrs. I would like to see if these tankless are trouble free after 5-10 yrs.. Of course. I haven't seen 1 trouble free as of yet.. Circuit board, etc,

/ nat gas water heater prices? #18  
We are going on 8 years on our Bosch Aqua Star Tankless water heater. LOVE IT, as a mater of fact we love it so much I removed it from our old house and moved it to our new one (in general I have more time then money). When I moved it, I had some of the feed connections undone and did not notice any scale present, but I will admit this is not the main heat exchanger. It cost around $900 or so at the time, and I will definitely go with another when this one is done. One great benefit is the utility closet size can be greatly reduced, or even eliminated. Some of the newer units can actually be placed in the outside wall and then direct vent, but this will only work in certain climates. The way I see it, if I had one of the nicer higher end tankless units, it might even be better.
My 2 cents, Dave

/ nat gas water heater prices?
one thing i am not looking for, is anything that takes more work/maintenance: so i'm not sure i will do much more considering on a tankless heater: some say the warranty is only good if professionally installed...an i do all my own work, so that takes those units out of my list.
heehaw