Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #11  
I'm thinking fuel too. If it was the solenoid, it would not "try" to start. It would simply crank with not fuel or smoke.

I'd change the fuel filter, and in the process, try draining the tank a little at one of the lines. I've had fuel issues with dirt plugging the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel bowl. Also have had fuel filters plug solid.

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #12  
When you turn the key to the "run" position, you should hear a definite "click" as the solenoid energizes. If you're not hearing that, there's a problem with either the solenoid or the lack of power going to it. Might even be the key switch. There may be a fuel solenoid fuse, I haven't looked at mine to see if there is one or not.

If the solenoid is energizing, it could be the fuel pump, let's hope it isn't.

Sean

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #13  
Does your l3400 have a emergency shut off on the dash. If so the compresson release could be partly open by stick or stuck cable. Did it stop while running or was it shut off and did not restart.
Check all levers to be proper Pto and front pto shaft levers.
The water drain valve on fuel filter could it be in off position.

ken

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died
Did you get it started???

Well I didn't get it started last week but today the mystery is solved! :thumbsup:

It's been unbearably hot & humid here in Connecticut and every time I went into the woods to try something the combination of mosquitoes and the humidity drove me out. Today I was on a mission - if I didn't get it running I was going to call a wrecker to drag it out of the woods.

So - last week I opened the fuel bowl & drained everything out of it. Nothing but good clean diesel. . . The filter looked pristine. Only 35 hours on the clock.

The owner of Woodbury Tractor (where I had picked up my box blade & phd) suggested I change the filter anyway and bleed it. So I ordered a few and changed it. Tried cranking, still no love.

Then I remembered he said to bleed it. The knob for the bleeder is right there above the filter. So I go to open it and ITS ALREADY OPEN SOME :confused:

I opened it all the way, cranked for about 10 seconds and she fired right off. Per the bleeding instructions I left it running for some time before closing it. Runs like new :)

I did learn a lot about the tractor tho. I got to study the fuel system and electrical schematics so now I'm not totally ignorant.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #16  
So being partially open caused it??

I ran out of fuel this past wk/ed... :mad: Once I filled it up, I open the bleeder for a while and cranked it. (I didn't know I should have left it open for a little while, but hey, it worked). Glad you got it running :thumbsup: